Is this normal or part of being PD?

• 11 Replies

Rainstorm

Is this normal or part of being PD?
« on: February 25, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
My uPDh has applied to join the military Reserves and he's in his 50's. I think this may be his way to try to convince himself that he isn't old, among other things. Do you think joining at this age is a PD thing? Do you think it will make his PD worse?

Rubytown

Re: Is this normal or part of being PD?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Hi Rainstorm,

This type of behavior does seem to fit with the PD prototype to me.  I could also see it reinforcing his PD tendencies.  However, if you are in a place where you are trying to take care of yourself more and have less of the harmful interactions with him, this could be helpful to you in the long run.  It would be an alternative source of supply.

Ruby
"The price of wisdom is above rubies." -Job 28:18

Scout

• Host Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 04:37:54 PM »
My uPDh has applied to join the military Reserves and he's in his 50's. I think this may be his way to try to convince himself that he isn't old, among other things. Do you think joining at this age is a PD thing? Do you think it will make his PD worse?

It's hard to say whether it will enhance his disorder, but if they accept him, like Ruby says, it could give him an alternate source of supply, and get him out of the house.  Having hobbies and friends is usually healthier than not.  Being bored usually causes more acting up than not, and feeling "tied in" to the world  and interested in activities seems especially good for BPDs and/or PDs with a depressive streak.   (I can't remember if that applies to your H or not.)

Rubytown

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »
Scout,

I always look forward to your wise and helpful insights.  You have a way of saying things directly but with kindness.  You challenge people to a higher level of awareness.

Ruby

Scout

• Host Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
Well, thank you Ruby!  :)

Rainstorm

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I'm looking forward to him being out of the house more often so will be a good thing at least. Boredom makes him more likely to act up, as you mentioned. It would be good for him to make a few friends too, but because he gets offended so easily, it's hard for him to keep them.

kiwihelen

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 04:37:43 AM »
He will have to pass fitness tests etc for reservists. Watch the complaints it is unfair when he fails them...

Rainstorm

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
He's already passed the fitness test. They have easier requirements for those over 35. I read something about them checking into our finances though, and if there is any truth in that, that could be a problem for him.

Diane69

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
Rainstorm,

I am exArmy. The age LIMIT for the Army to join in 35. The other branches have similar restrictions. Unless he is prior service, in which case they MIGHT waive the training (and I doubt this unless he is recently out of the military and even more so because of his age).

If you are in the US, I would verify that what he says is true. He would have to go through boot camp and Advanced Individual Training as well. He wouldn't automatically become a "weekend warrior."

I suspect he isn't being truthful with you.

D

Rainstorm

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the input Diane69. My husband is prone to lying and exaggerating but this isn't the US army so I think he's being more or less honest in this case, though the story does seem to change a bit.

Rubytown

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
http://www.militaryspot.com/enlist/what-is-the-maximum-age-limit-for-each-branch-of-the-military

Hi, found the above link, stating age limits in the 30s at the highest.  I was just looking out of personal interest. I also saw an article saying some recruitment efforts recently raised age to 52 in order to increase numbers. Interesting.

But this is the U.S.

Rainstorm

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
They've raised the age limits for the reserves in the country that we live in, due to a shortage of people being interested. I think it's somewhere in the 50's but I'm not sure on the exact number.  He's expecting to advance quickly in part because of some training he has and in part just because he has some N traits. I think he will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:02:54 PM by Rainstorm »