Goals for your new year..... what are your goals for 2017?

• 35 Replies

almostthere

Re: Goals for your new year..... what are your goals for 2017?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Hi all!
My goals this year:
1.   Sensible weight loss.
2.  Increase my leisure time physical activity (I'm very active at work but a blob when I get home).
3.  Actively attempt to decrease the amount of time I spend worrying about money.
4.  Try my hand at a small garden.
5.  Go on a real vacation.

anastasia

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
My goal is to have more love in my life. I don't just mean romantic love, I also mean doing work that I love and spending time doing things that I am passionate about.
Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam. Butterscoth clouds, a tangerine, and a side order of ham. If you set your mind free baby, maybe you'd understand. Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam.

static-pallor

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
1. Focus more on myself and less on others' needs and thoughts
2. Get some things in order so I can get a car so I can then find a better job
3. Find some new hobbies and activities to feel excited/passionate about

Summer Sun

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
My goal this year is simply self-nurture, though this encompasses:

- hiking, yoga, kayaking
-  refocus faith, spirituality
-  creative activities
- FOC, safe people
- volunteerism, serving
- therapy(s)
- planning vacation, fun events
- healthy choices
- minimize stresses
- increase trust as in let go, let God

So far, I am feeling stronger and happier!

Summer Sun
"The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Indifference" - Elie Wiesel

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
-Transition HEALTHY into this No Contact situation.
-Finish this Chemistry class, hopefully with a B.
-Take the next Chemistry class over the summer.
Apply to graduate with my Associate Degree in Applied Health Sciences.  (Ya, only 110 credits, took me a long time to figure out what I was going to do when I grew up [I'm only 46, you can laugh, I've learned to])
-Take Microbiology in the fall.
-Take Mathematics for Pharmacology in the fall as well.
Apply for RN program.
-Continue for the next umpteen years classes towards my Registered Health Informatics Technology degree. 
To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.  To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own future.  To let go is not to be protective, it is to permit another to face reality.

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 08:32:08 PM »
To cut down  on the amount of junk/sugar that I eat.

To lose about 10-15 kgs.

To exercise (walk) more often.

To find the money to replace the guttering and install gutterguard.

Failing that, to clean the gutters more often.

To trim my nails and moisturise my hands more often.

To stop giving my u/npd exH and his apalling N wife so much of my brain space and emotional energy.

To stop believing that all single men are b******s and that they all come with a narcissistic woman attached.

To keep my house cleaner and tidier.

To buy some decent clothes that fit me properly and aren't so obviously from the op shop.

To play my flute more and perhaps get back into performing somehow.

AOD

eccentricvirgo

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
1. Find a more stable job (that is at least tolerable).
2. Find that job in another state (I live in one of the most expensive states in the U.S.).
3. These two things will hopefully help me with goal 3, become not homeless (I live in my car right now).
4. Practice more mindfulness meditation.
5. Continue the practice of not doing things just to please others, especially when those others are possibly trying to manipulate me. I've gotten better at this, but I currently have a boss that I've realized doesn't financially show any appreciation for my work and expects me to do the work of about 3 people, while not giving me more hours or pay. I leave in 10 days to a new job where I hope I can establish right off that this is NOT POSSIBLE to do to me (this upcoming job does not fulfill goal #1 as it is seasonal).
6. Change the way I eat so it is much healthier and works better for me - I have bad IBS and reactive hypoglycemia, and being homeless severely limits your food choices.

If anybody wonders why I'm homeless, it's because I, like many people in their late 20s/early 30s, am at that period in life where things such as job changes or life changes lead one to normally having to go back to living with one's parents temporarily. However, I will not go back to an extremely dysfunctional household where I was the scapegoat and badly abused on a daily basis for my entire life. So I chose my car, because "friends" are nowhere to be seen (what a surprise, I chose fairweather friends and ones who use me for their benefit, because I grew up trained to please everybody but myself), services are terrible where I live (a few monitors at the homeless shelter here realized I have PTSD and, because they are cruel, purposely triggered me multiple times every day until I either got kicked out or left - I left), and I cannot afford anything here.

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
It's 4 months since this thread was started so shall we chime in with our progress (or lack thereof)?

I'll start:

Less sugar:  um....

Lose weight:  too scared to step on the scales.

More exercise:  Next question?

Money for guttering:  almost there. Quotes arranged for tomorrow and next week.

Trim nails etc.:  Could do better.

Vacate u/npd exH and his Nwife from head:  Who?  (Kidding.  Work in progress. )

Attitude to single men:  sigh. (Saw a funny sign today:  Grow your own dope. Plant a man.)

Tidier/cleaner house:  yeah that.

New clothes:  spent $27 on a shirt and jeans.  Feels good.

Playing flute and performing:  won a talent quest. Inspired.

Anyone else feel like updating us?

AOD

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
-Transition HEALTHY into this No Contact situation.
-Finish this Chemistry class, hopefully with a B.
-Take the next Chemistry class over the summer.
Apply to graduate with my Associate Degree in Applied Health Sciences.  (Ya, only 110 credits, took me a long time to figure out what I was going to do when I grew up [I'm only 46, you can laugh, I've learned to])
-Take Microbiology in the fall.
-Take Mathematics for Pharmacology in the fall as well.
Apply for RN program.
-Continue for the next umpteen years classes towards my Registered Health Informatics Technology degree.
Update:
-Nope, looks like a C in Chemistry this semester.
-Nope, next Chemistry class not offered in the summer.
-So, nope, can't take Microbiology until January 2018.
-Yes, can take Mathematics for Pharmacology this summer.
-Nope, won't be able to apply for the RN program when I wanted to. 

...feeling like a failure...
To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.  To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own future.  To let go is not to be protective, it is to permit another to face reality.

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »
Failure?  Failure???!!

It sounds like most of it is out of your control.  You can't do those subjects at the time you wanted to because they're unavailable at those times.  You'll probably find after you manage to complete them that they were available at the perfect time for you.

And your Chemistry result. Be proud that you did your best under the circumstances.

I don't even know what chemistry is, let alone Applied Health Sciences and Microbiology.

All I can do is tootle a bit on my flootle.

Keep going.  You are not a failure.

AOD

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
Failure?  Failure???!!

It sounds like most of it is out of your control.  You can't do those subjects at the time you wanted to because they're unavailable at those times.  You'll probably find after you manage to complete them that they were available at the perfect time for you.

And your Chemistry result. Be proud that you did your best under the circumstances.

I don't even know what chemistry is, let alone Applied Health Sciences and Microbiology.

All I can do is tootle a bit on my flootle.

Keep going.  You are not a failure.

AOD
I know this is going to sound petty, but, it really is chemistry common sense - I forgot how to count the valence electrons for the P-Shell elements...  on the bonding exam.  I had told the teacher not to have anyone sit next to me...  I get such anxiety when someone is in my personal space, and we only have 50 minutes for each exam...  and, I didn't do very good on the prior exam...  And, I emailed my doctor and therapist about a week ago to complete disability forms so I can take exams outside of the classroom, without the strict time limit, in a personal cubicle...  but, of course, neither has responded.  And...  my depression is bad right now...  and I'm on this perpetual depression loop...  and, I am sick of trying and never getting ahead and something always comes up to, yet again, cause another delay...  and I just want everything to stop for a while.  Seriously, 46 years old, 110 college credits, and no Associates Degree.  Taken a class every semester since 2006 (except 2), even in the summer, and never get anywhere.  Now I'm being told since it has been so long since I took Human Anatomy and Human Physiology (more than 5 years), I may have to retake them...  what, when I'm 55 I'll finally get into the RN program?  There is usually a 4 year wait list - even after finishing the pre-requisites.  I feel like I'm using my husband (although he makes really good money, and I just gave him $100,000. to pay off our house), he pays for everything.  I frickin' get an allowance - how embarrassing is that!  I do everything around the house since he pays all the bills - mow the lawn, all yard work, painted the fence and trim, all the house work, cooking (which, luckily he really doesn't care if I do or not), laundry, feeding the puppies, shampooing the carpet, etc.  Then the lawnmower bagger isn't staying on, and I hate getting calluses when I rake...  and why do weeds ALWAYS have to come back?  Can't they just stay dead?  And, I have short term memory issues, so, I have to study really really hard to get all school stuff in long term status to just survive any college class...  I have 2 hours of tutoring and 2 hours of supplementary instruction every week (sometimes more if I can manage it), and then I make a stupid valence electron mistake.  I studied over 15 hours for that exam, and made a mistake...  a mistake like when you hit the first domino, and all the other domino's fall because that is the way chemistry is.  An early mistake ensures all the next steps will have wrong outcomes.  And, I'm thinking my 20 mg Lexapro isn't enough anymore, that it is loosing it's effectiveness because I have been on it for about 16 years...  and, they don't make any higher dosage of Lexapro...  and my doctor and therapist are not responding to my emails...  (see the circular junk here), and the screen door company never responded to set up an appointment to get the two screen doors installed, and the other door frame repaired...  and I can't seem to get a hold of the local hair salon to treat myself to a color and cut... 

And, I'm sick of trying.  And, needed to vent.  Whew...  that's a lot of writing up there...   Oh ya, and my essay on Phossy Jaw has to be written yet. 

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:40 AM »
Phew!  Reading your text has made me exhausted, Tootsie Roll!   So I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Can I suggest you first of all start the ball rolling on sorting out your medication.  Then go get that special treatment at the salon - or a different salon if need be.

Then perhaps reassess the goals.  Are you setting the bar a little too high for the circumstances you're in?

I was just talking to my sister. Her kids (my amazing,  fabulous, incredible nephew and niece. I love them to bits.) are 21 and 19 respectively.

Nephew is doing honors and trying to decide whether or not to do masters then phd. Or go straight to phd. And does he do the phd in our country or overseas? (Cambridge is a very strong possibility apparently.) But he also wants to sit the exam that would get him into law...

His sister (my niece) is a polymath. (Big word which I think is the term used for someone who is interesred in and good at everything.)

She's studying science with a view to neuroscience. But she's a fabulous violinist. (Played with our country's best Symphony orchestra a year or so ago.)  And she's an elite athlete, representing our country in various competitions. (And winning!)

She's just been invited to trials for the world championships in another country. (You have to be invited apparently.  You can't just try out.)

But this week she is in bed feeling very miserable. 

She couldn't train last week because of severe pain. She's had a battery of tests but nothing is showing up. They think (hope) it may be a stress fracture in the ribs.  She's banned from training for 3 weeks which means she will probably miss the world championship trials.

Apart from being a rediculously proud Auntie, I say all of this for two reasons.

Choices can be stressful.  I'm glad I'm not clever or intelligent.   The choices that would otherwise be available to me would be too stressful.  Perhaps that's what's happening a little with you, Tootsie Roll?

Secondly,  despite our best laid plans and desires, many things are simply out of our control and we need to learn to roll with it.

Actually, we all already know these things.  So I'll retract my last few paragraphs and just say...

Aren't my nephew and niece amazing?!?

All the best, Tootsie Roll. I hope things settle for you soon.

AOD

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
Your communication style is absolutely amazing AOD!!!!!  Totally makes me laugh.  Yes, your nephew and niece are absolutely amazing!  It is a beautiful thing to see those who are gifted use their gifts. 

Things are settling down.  Today is the first day of spring break.  Today - write my Phossy Jaw essay and make an appointment with the doctor's office.  Try and fix the lawn mower baggy thing, make an appointment to get my hair done, if lawn mower fixes - mow the lawn!  Poor puppies, the grass is touching their bellies.  Email a whole bunch of screen door places hoping one will get back to me. 

Have fun watching your niece and nephew mature and grow.  It will be a fascinating journey.  Thanks AOD.

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
So, Tootsie Roll.

Phossie Jaw essay, lawn mower baggy thing, doctor's appointment, hair makeover and dog belly tickling grass.

How has it all gone?

AOD

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
So, Tootsie Roll.

Phossie Jaw essay, lawn mower baggy thing, doctor's appointment, hair makeover and dog belly tickling grass.

How has it all gone?

AOD
-Phossy Jaw essay - done!  Turned out really good. 
-Lawn mower baggy thing - done!  Essentially my hubby pulled on the metal bar, and POOF works perfect.
-Doctor Appointment - scheduled (still 2 weeks out though).
-Hair makeover - done!  I am now a sexy red/ copper head!  Looks sooooooo good!  Also had my eyebrows done!
-Belly tickling on puppy grass - cut!  Even hand sawed down the tree stump. 

I even spoiled myself 1 day.  Drove down, about an hour and a half, and drooled over 4 different motor homes at Camping World.  Stopped at Cinnabon on the way back.  Le happy bliss taste buds. 

Still haven't found a handyman for screen door and door repair work.  I keep emailing these companies and individuals, and no one responds!  Nor have I shampooed the carpeting yet.  As well as the back shower is only partially scrubbed.  And, spring break is over.  Did not finish my to-do list.  Still feeling okay with what is done.

Thanks for asking!!!!!!!!!