Revisiting EXCELLENT "What's your mantra lately" topic

• 29 Replies

biggerfish

Re: Revisiting EXCELLENT "What's your mantra lately" topic
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:20 PM »
Hi Biggerfish,
I am sixty also and suffered from anxiety, practically my whole life.  Yes, it was just Life and I came to that realisation only within the last year, too.  We were brought up in Chaos which did not  prepare us to  tackle  the stresses.  I remember telling my NF, at fifty for some reason that I was tight on money, which I had never done before and he just brushed it off "yeah, yeah, we all have money problems "no interest in the world to find out why or if he could help.  And my mother the enabler would say "you never tell me anything" :doh:  Like you, today my inner peace is what I am working on.

Blacksheep, thank you for this. We are kindred spirits! It helps to know we are not alone and that's why this board is so awesome.

blacksheep7

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
Biggerfish

Yes, we are kindred spirits and Yes,  it just feels good to know that we are not alone.  ;)

I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

AmericanWoman

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »

With age my mantra has changed so many times.  Right now it's; "Lord please let me find a ladies bathroom and quick"  :excited:

biggerfish

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »

With age my mantra has changed so many times.  Right now it's; "Lord please let me find a ladies bathroom and quick"  :excited:

:yeahthat: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

InHidingWithMacSeth

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
This is really good because it's helped me SO MUCH in remaining NC and also in dusting the guilt off my decision to stay away:

She said she was only trying to salvage things so she wouldn't be alone.

That right there is a person who will use you up and throw you away when they don't need you, which what happened. I don't want to be convenient, I have to be a choice, and not just any choice, the best choice. You don't marry someone or stay with them out of anything but feeling that you love them, and either because of that or due to that, that they are the best partner for you. I think she thought I was the best partner for her because I put up with her shit all the time and STILL kissed her ass. THAT was what she loved, because she sure as hell didn't love me for who I am!
No one is a bottomless pit of giving, but some are bottomless pits of taking.

*This message brought to you by someone recovering from toxicity.

Zen_Warrior

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 07:31:42 PM »
In general: "protect yourself or be dragged" for setting boundaries even when I'm reluctant to due to compassion.

I'm also working on feeling my pain in the moment, rather than trying not to be hurt, only to succumb to the pain later. For that I'm trying time remember to simply say, "ouch" to people when they hurt me.

Lastly, I often normalize by not responding to others' outrageous behavior so I'm learning to respond by simply asking, "really?" instead.

Upstream

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
  THE DEVIL WHISPERED IN MY EAR,
“YOU’RE NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO   
           WITHSTAND THE STORM.”

TODAY I WISPERED IN THE DEVILS EAR,
                 “I AM THE STORM.”

Upstream.

Wild Lupines

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
I have a few right now...

"Give up trying to change his mind about you."
"Surround yourself with people who love and respect you."
"Staying for loving feelings isn't enough."

Other ones I like:

"I accept it is over and let go."
"I am free."
"Life is beautiful. Feel the joy."
"I am enough."

tenlongyears

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
I am non-PD (I definitely know that, O.K may be some little tolerable aberration, nothing more than that). I am adult. My actions and words are my responsibility. However you(uPPDh) behave, I will behave the right, matured, learned, respected, humble, non-judgmental, patient, forgiving way. My happiness is not attached to how successful I am compared to others. My happiness is defined by me, which would mean going against the current, holding my ground, saying "NO" when I mean "NO". My DD is my highest priority. Keeping her safe and in peaceful, healthy home is my responsibility. For that if it mean taking the bull by horn I will do it, and I will do it with poise, grace and sanity which will serve as role model for DD and my older safe.

I know it is not just one mantr but entire shakti-namavali (strength words) to make myself see light at the end of the tunnel. This tunnel is long!

Mirandarid

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
My mantra: if I don't like it I shouldn't do it.