Good books on Parenting

Started by lifeline, February 24, 2017, 03:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeline

Hello all, I am looking for recommendations for good parenting books.  I have three very small children and two NOT small children (young teens).

I will be co-parenting with my uNstbx, and my ex of the teens is... something abnormal...

Anyway, I'm by no means a parenting expert, so am just looking for some... reference guide, a gauge of normalcy, my parents were not normal, my ex's parents were not normal, my stbx's parents are farthest from normal...

I don't want to screw this up... :)

Thanks in advance!!!!
"Only I can change my life.  No one can do it for me."
-Carol Burnette

kaz

Raising a Secure Child: How Circle of Security Parenting Can Help You Nurture Your Child's Attachment, Emotional Resilience, and Freedom to Explore
https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Secure-Child-Attachment-Resilience/dp/1462527639

Couple others worthwhile ..The Whole Brain Child and No Drama Discipline both by Daniel J. Siegel. He's written a few good books.

LucyLocket

I just posted about a book I recently read called "Childhood Disrupted: How your biography becomes your biology, and how to heal" by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. It's not about parenting as such, but does have a chapter on "parenting well when you were not well parented" which I highly recommend. It has some great advice, and reassurance.

The rest of the book is an interesting read too, in terms of how chronic stress can affect children, and how the negative parenting experiences we had can affect us into adulthood. The second part of the book is about ways to heal.

lifeline

I will be sure to check these out.

In the past my book collection was made up of classic literature, and wonderful novels... future is looking more like real life education and reference.

Thanks folks, very very much.
"Only I can change my life.  No one can do it for me."
-Carol Burnette

curev

My thoughts and fears too.
Reading currently ""The Object of My Affection Is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists", a few sentences keep ringing in my head:

Parents who received an adequate supply of quality love and trust are in turn able to hand down the same to their children. When parents did not receive enough love and trust, they struggle to give these essentials to their offspring. Thus one generation of scarcity begets another.

Hopping and looking forward to support and getting beyond these thoughts  :no:

Associate of Daniel

I've found the "Babywise" series by Gary Ezzo really helpful.  Childwise, Preteenwise etc..

They are written from a Christian perspective and don't deal with pd issues. But I've found them very helpful.

AOD

helen55

I like "Babywise"  too.
Currently reading it

all4peace

I've read piles but can't remember most of the names. How We Love, anything by Cloud and Townsend about Boundaries, and Safe House have been great.

Mirandarid

Raising a Secure Child mentioned earlier is a great book, I would also recommend it.