waiting for the backlash

• 5 Replies

TooLongInWA

waiting for the backlash
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
My lawyer submitted the divorce settlement proposal to my STBXH's attorney on Friday. Assuming she's not on vacation or in a trial or mediation, she should have it by now and have passed it on to him.  We're proposing to put most of his equity in the house into a trust fund to make his child support payments because we don't think he will other wise.  My MIL is counting on him getting a big fat check from me so she can get him off her couch and into an apartment. Our proposal does not do that.  I'm waiting for the streams of phone calls and nasty emails to start.  The letter indicates this is the best offer STBXH is going to get from me.  My parents are willing to pay for us to go to trial to keep him from getting a boatload of money from me.  Sigh.
"Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too."    Will Smith

Sammy

Re: waiting for the backlash
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Too, the waiting game is awful. I hope he just signs and lets you go. You and your children have been through enough. Thank goodness for your parents, what a blessing they are.

Liftedfog

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
As soon as you get wind they won't accept go straight to trial.  I wasted two years of useless back and forth that racked up fees.   You can't negotiate with crazy.   Trial is cheaper in the long run. 

kazzak

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »
I agree getting to trial sooner rather than later. And if there are delays on getting to trial then minimize everything when it comes to the lawyer and the case. I told my lawyer upfront I had to keep costs down. My PD wanted to go around in circles so many times it was sickening and expensive. No need for that, when everything gets covered in the trial.

TooLongInWA

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
That's true, there is no negotiating with crazy.  And my parents have been such a blessing through all of this.  They watched all the craziness for years while feeling it wasn't their place to intervene or tell me how to run my life, though they wanted to speak up so many times.
"Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too."    Will Smith

25below

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
Toolong, as Sammy said, you have your folks backing you up.   That's huge, especially now as you're in the thick of it!   

I know you're going to be ok.  It sounds like you must have a great lawyer. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Be well. Breathe.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:09:41 PM by 25below »
"Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
and death's dark shadow put to flight."