What's the stupidest thing you ever did?

• 28 Replies

Nerdgirl

Re: What's the stupidest thing you ever did?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
Keep on procrastinating the things i regret would be done earlier

coyote

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
Way too many things to list here. It's not called young and stupid for nothing :stars:
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
 Wayne Dyer

“The only person educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.”  Carl Rogers

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

AmericanWoman

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
Smoking cigarettes.  Gave them up in 2001, smartest thing I have done. ;)
Praise Jesus and pass the ammo, lock and load.

American by birth
Christian by choice
Southern by the Grace of God

UDC member
www.hqudc.org

Grahamcracker

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 12:47:45 PM »
I have several nominations.  Like when as a kid I jumped down a staircase to avoid being tagged and broke my arm.  Or stashing marijuana in the tubes of my backpack thinking no one would look there -- no one did because even though we were long-haired hitchhikers no one searched us.  Smoking pot was stupid, for that matter.

But my current one is tops I think.  I picked up a copy of "Surviving a Borderline Parent" from the library.  I'm not ready now, if ever, to show something like that to uBPDw, so I stashed it.  Problem is, I'm old enough now to hide things from myself, and that seems to be what happened.  The book was not where I though I put it, but I'm not sure I put it there.  And I have an autistic son who may have picked it up and put it somewhere, but I doubt it.  I have surreptitiously searched the house and cannot find it.  I know it will turn up, and I hope it's me and not the wife who finds it.

The only other option is that she found it and is being quiet about it, biding her time.  I doubt it, for her to be able to do that, and maintain her demeanor, would be a whole new level.

No, I think I just outsmarted myself and I am hoping an epiphany will strike me in the night.
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

TooLongInWA

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
GrahamCracker, I hope you find that book!  I am really good at hiding things and then totally forgetting where I hid them.  When I was cleaning out STBXH's stuff recently I found some candy I had hid from the kids.  I think it had been there for many months... but we still ate it anyway.  My 12-year old has taken to calling me Dory because of my terrible memory. :)
"Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too."    Will Smith

Grahamcracker

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser.  I found out today that the missing book is no longer checked out to me.  Perhaps it fell out of the car and some Samaritan returned it.  But I could swear I recall bringing it into the house.  Perhaps it got mixed in with other library books that we returned.  Or perhaps it was a ghost or miracle.  Or perhaps . . . . Nah.

Anyway, I got into corners of the house I hadn't visited in years, vacuumed and dusted everywhere (its hard to ignore dust bunnies once you've found them) and rediscovered several books (not library) that i forgot I had. 

And the relief is palpable.  I wonder if I owe anything for an answered prayer?
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

Aardvark

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
Grahamcracker,
It's possible that if your wife did find the book she would say you're the one with BPD. I've been hiding and reading books on BPD, boundaries, etc. because I know what will happen if my uPD finds them :aaauuugh:
"It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once."
Mark Twain

Grahamcracker

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 04:50:35 AM »
yes Aardvark, it was fortunate.  I doubt she would have read beyond the cover.  and I suspect there would have been a major reaction.  I kept going through my options:  acknowledge the truth, that I think she's BPD; try to explain it away; lie and say either that it was for me or that after reading it decided she was not BP;  or try to somehow make peace or ride it out JADE.

only the first would have been healthy, but I'm not yet sure I'm at that point.  perhaps, though it would have been a breaking point beyond my control.

NotLost

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
 I zoned out for exactly two seconds and shredded the tip of a finger with a hedge trimmer.

To accentuate the stupidity, the finger was stitched/wrapped, and had to be held in an upward "pointing" position which drew the questions of it's cause and I had to be careful about laughing in public, others thought I was pointing at them.

I kept the finger and all is well.  I'm 50 yrs of age though and it's the only time I've ever had to visit an E.R. for an injury, so that is a pretty good record!
Not all who wander are lost  - J. R. R. Tolkien

Findingmyvoice

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
Graham cracker,
How do you find time to read books on dealing with bpd and setting boundaries?
I was going to get a copy of stop walking on eggshells today, but I have the same fear that it will be found and I will have to find a way to explain it. The other problem is finding time away from her to actually read.
I am sure my wife will use it against me, accuse me of plotting against her, accuse me of trying to diagnose her, accuse me of playing the victim, she would see it as a betrayal.
I know she would not accept that I am reading it to help myself cope with living with her.

Grahamcracker

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
Finding, I find myself with lots of time.  W is actually nearly if not completely a workaholic and absorbed into that world, so I have a lot of time. Unless I stupidly misplace a book, I simply stick it somewhere in my bookcase that she never looks at.  And I can sit across from her at the kitchen table, her on her laptop me on mine, and she never pays attention to me.  If she actually noticed she'd be upset, because she would either see it as confirmation of what she thinks I think, or she would call it B.S.  that I am trying to use against her,  But she never notices. 

Aquarian, I was almost in your club, sawing a piece of plywood with a circular saw with my hand underneath.  I stopped just before i removed a finger or two.  But not because I meant to stop.

Aardvark

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
Stopping a running chain saw with my thigh. Fortunately, It only ripped my pants and barely scratched my leg.
"It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once."
Mark Twain

Foreignwoman

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »
Stopping a running chain saw with my thigh. Fortunately, It only ripped my pants and barely scratched my leg.
WoW, that was close, glad to hear it turned out okay
 :blink:

FW
Freedom is never voluntary given by the oppressor, it is demanded by the oppressed.

Martin Luther King, Jr

Foreignwoman

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
Cry on my birthday, glad that one is over again.

:wave:

FW
Freedom is never voluntary given by the oppressor, it is demanded by the oppressed.

Martin Luther King, Jr