What is currently making you happy or joyous. What are you enjoying?

• 22 Replies

1footouttadefog

I thought it might be interesting to share.  Perhaps we can inspire each other to continue what we are doing, or inspire one another to try something new.  I have often been reminded of old interests by reading what others here post.  And additionally have my curiosity peeked toward something new. 

I built a few small raised beds.  The napa cabbage plants are incredible looking.  My tomato plants have flowers.  I used some my onions for Easter dinner. 

My kids are awesome and are maturing into cool people.  They are self motivated and reliable. 

My dog is cool.

My baby chickens are cute and fascinating.

My fruit trees are in bloom.

Its spring.

We are experimenting with lower carb meals and using Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors and combinations.  The kids are enjoying this and incorporating healthy habits as preferences. 

I am learning to sew enough to mend or alter

Decluttering and redecorating house, mostly shop at home, using and rediscovering things I already own.  I did however buy a new basket to hide some cords etc instead of new furniture. 

Learning new skills for cooking outside. 

Just getting us all in the car and heading out until we find a small town to prowl shops in and a cool place to eat.  We live in a scenic area and millions vacation here to do this, it almost seems like cheating to do it in a half day trip. 

Shopping at the local farmers markets, and festivals and meeting people who have lives outside the typical contraints, I find it uplifting. For example; left the rat race to start new lives as bi-vocational homesteaders and part time organic farmers and the like.  Meeting people who have always been rural and are well read and have interesting or unusual interests and or skill sets. 

deverra

Re: What is currently making you happy or joyous. What are you enjoying?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Baby chickens!! (I've never seen the 'not a chick, not yet a hen' stage of growth....)

That is a fantastic list. Here's some of mine:

Enjoying...small crossword puzzle obsession.
The spring: flowers, trees, birds, sun, sky. Longer days!
Watching my cat get spring fever around the house.
Walking for pleasure.
Taking care of myself - better eating (more protein, more salads of kale, broccoli, etc). Found a new dressing I really like, which may seem small, but daily salad = needs a good fat to liven it up.
Am spring cleaning as well - laundry, donations to Goodwill.
Watching the ants who seem to love my desk - they are amazingly resilient and orderly.

coyote

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
1foot,
I had no idea. We are rural homesteader/jobs still types too. 14 new chicks. Tomatoes looking good. Some new geese. Full outdoor kitchen. Nothing but cast iron cookware. Fresh eggs. Little things bring us joy.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
 Wayne Dyer

The only person educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.  Carl Rogers

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

lightworld

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
Yoga
Long walks across the fields
Spring in the air
Swallows have arrived
Lambs in the fields
Baking a cake for dear friends
My lovely DH
"The opposite of love is not hate it's indifference" Elie Wiesel

tommom

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
Coyote is so right, it seems the little things are the ones that bring us the most joy.

The weather is fabulous right now (I am in the deep South, so its often hot, hot, hot by now), so I am enjoying just sleeping with the windows open under my favorite old quilt.
Doing gardening. I am working on growing some herbs in big cans. Trying to decide if I want to paint them and find some way to  nail them on the fence. (Having a Pinterst moment, I guess!) Spring is so, so beautiful and renewing, isn't it?
Working on learning some new sound engineering skills. They are always a little tough for me, but so rewarding when I finally 'get' them.
I am also really enjoying my spring cleaning. (Looks like a thing, huh ladies?) I love the "shop at home", 1foot. Never thought of it quite like that but....
I am also designing/planning out a desk-nightstand combination for  beside the bed. (And hoping I can find something to re-pupose in the basement or garage. If not, Goodwill, here I come)  I never fail to have a bunch of books, papers and my laptop when I get ready to finally go to sleep - that needs much better organization. Then I get to paint, refinish, or whatever it is I find....Plans on plans....
Making a list of the new books in the library I want to read over spring and summer
And cooking, too. I'm trying to learn "make ahead" things in the slow cooker because my schedule is so jumbled up right now.

And watching the kitties, of course. All of mine are old ladies and gentlemen (two of each) but they do love to sit in the open windows and groom. Maybe they know it's spring, too.

And I am still so jealous of you guys with chickens!

"It is not my job to fix other people; everyone is on their own journey."

coyote

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »
tommom; slow cookers rock :applause:
 Wayne Dyer

The only person educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.  Carl Rogers

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Mariposa

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »
Positive interactions with people.

I'm starting to meet new people at the gym. all different ages, ethnic groups, developmentally disabled.  The interactions are positive, good spirited.  ( my ex said I used to bore people, did not approve of me talking to people in checkout lines, did not like me talking to the neighbors). 

I'm realizing now that I am free to talk to people, who I talk to, and what I talk about.  They may not be responsive to me, but I am free to initiate.

I also am free to do the "uncool stuff".  Hanging out in a coffee shop so my ex could look "cool" did not do it for me, or just hanging with the "cool" people in his eyes at a party. 

I'm also trusting my own gut instinct now. A psychic told me that I needed to stop listening to other people's advice.  I need to trust my own gut instinct. I often took other's people advice because they made me feel inadequate , an obviously then I needed help.  I'm now looking at my successes, how I handle all my  responsibilities, my day to day living skills, and I'm realizing I'm doing as well as the next person. I don't want to see myself as having been damaged, I'm just a person who had to face different challenges than other people.  I'm feeling that since I had to deal with those challenges, it has shown me that I am a strong person- not a weak person because I had those challenges.  I don't know if other people will ever look at me differently, but I am working on disregarding the negative comments.

SmolderingDragon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
Jeez, I wish I lived near y'all with the vegetable gardens. I'd happily buy your extras or trade you for some of the fruit I grow! ;)

I, too, live in the South and have been enjoying the fabulous weather while it lasts. Usually it's oppressively hot and humid, so much so that you could pass out after five minutes outside. So I've actually been enjoying my daily leaf raking and weed pulling. :)

I've also been exercising regularly and *really* been enjoying the fruits of that labor. I've never looked so good or been as fit, not even when I was in my teens and 20's. :D
Everyone appreciates your honesty until you're honest with them. Then you're an @$$****.  :P  - George Carlin

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
  • You can't heal what you can't feel
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
Loved reading this today. Garden season here, farm stands open, first fruits of season coming in, simplifying and decluttering, smell of fresh mown grass.
PD have no power, only words. We choose to give those words power, influence or keep them as they are, empty words. (thx WI) Accepting others are incapable of being anything other than what they are is step one. OOTF affiliate program http://www.outofthefog.net/Books.html

practical

• Host Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »
Being woken by the birds singing in our garden (a little early, but they are the nicest alarm ever, even if you cannot choose the time  :bigwink: ) - really anything relating to the birds and squirrels in our garden brings a smile to my face  :)

Seeing what is coming up in my garden, the sour cherry bloomed for the first time and this year I have blueberries - I don't think I'll get to taste either, the birds and squirrels will eat them, and that is okay.

Lying in my hammock under our trees and just day dreaming or reading a book (a skill I'm learning as part of self-care, to just take a time out for myself).

My work.

Learning new things, whether by reading about them or exploring new projects.

Baking cakes, cookies, bread and then enjoying it all  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:53:15 AM by practical »
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Inurdreams

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a one-trick pony; crocheting.

Taught myself a few years ago.  Never knew what I was missing.

Just started on making one of those beautiful, and quite large mandalas.
Peek not through the keyhole lest ye be vexed. - Stephen King

Response to a Flying Monkey:  Apparently you are suffering under the delusion that I give a damn.

coyote

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Inurdreams,
I want one :)
 Wayne Dyer

Capt. Jack Sparrow

Inurdreams

Peek not through the keyhole lest ye be vexed. - Stephen King

Response to a Flying Monkey:  Apparently you are suffering under the delusion that I give a damn.

Cascade

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 02:07:31 AM »
My husband is away for a couple of days and I'm feeling ridiculously happy about that. 😄
We had a beautiful spring day today and I enjoyed gardening and hearing the birds sing.
My cats make me happy every day. I love to hear them purr.
I have good relationships with all my children and I'm so thankful for them.

my1wish

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
Thank you for sharing and starting this onefoot....!
I love seeing what people are doing to take back some joy and happiness in their lives!  It's so inspiring!
I'm new to OOTF and to understanding that I'm married to an uOCPD.  I've just recently begun to realize all the joy that has slipped from my life and all the things I used to love that I've stopped doing.  In addition, I'm facing and empty nest next year so I have been trying to bring new and old hobbies into my life.

I got a camera and have taken some classes and am LOVING photography!  Mostly awesome action shots of my hs and college kids sports and family vacation/ get togethers.....but plan to move on to outdoor portraits, baby pictures (for down the road....) and nature shots.

I learned to crochet this winter (mom taught me, so that was really special), and I'm addicted to that!  Suddenly everybody is getting afghans!

I joined a gym and have started a new healthier eating program and started walking at my favorite lake again.

I'm trying to reconnect with friends I've been alienated from and have made a goal of making new friends this year.

I'm getting back outside to work on my flowers and pots.....I used to LOVE doing that.

I've found a new church to attend where I come away feeling full of hope and faith each week and plan to begin attending Bible study next week with some ladies I met there.

I'm looking for a special place to volunteer.....haven't decided if it will be with the church, a local teen shelter.......

I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in a couple of years!!

PEACE to us all!!   :bigwink: