Can't complain (much)

• 6 Replies

Grahamcracker

Can't complain (much)
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »
Sitting on my screened back porch -- wire screens to keep out the mosquitoes, bamboo screens to block that hot sun -- I think I have it pretty good at the moment.  I hear cardinals and robins calling, the first cicadas of the fall are beginning to buzz, starting faintly then rising to a crescendo, then stopping all at once, either because the song has ended or danger has threatened, i am never sure which.  The sky is a clear rich blue, the trees and hedges are green, the lillies are bright orange, the birch bark is white, a butterfly or moth flits by in the distance.  I see our purple bird bath bowl hanging in the small cherry tree just beyond the porch-- it's been a very wet summer, so the birds have lots of places to drink and bathe, but I keep it full anyway.

This is a wondrous late  midwestern summer afternoon.  I hear my neighbor stirring behind me, setting up his propane grill for some late afternoon grilling, and soon the smell of sizzling steak will waft over here. The breeze brings by a few other smells too, but I don't detect them as well as I did when I was a kid, rhough once in awhile a smell will rise up and transport back to the time when it was all so new and wondrous for me.

I ate well earlier and am enjoying a glass of dark red wine, Camerarere, I think it's called, imported only from Chile. Rich and strong, but not too strong, good for sipping.  Just enough for the faintest buzz, but not enough to make me tipsy.

The neighbor's dog is barking, a somewhat annoying little guy.  The neighbor on the other side has a pair of larger dogs, but they are rarely outside, and our yard is fenced.  Because we have no dog or cat, our yard is a sort of refuge for rabbits and chipmunks, who make regular rounds -- one cottontail, who we call "Lady", stops by our back porch from time to time -- sometimes she even comes bounding up when she hears the back door open, knowing we will  be putting out some rabbit chow.  She keeps a cautious distance, and jumps at any sudden movement, but will let us stand by her as she eats.  I ought to include the squirrels among the welcome visitors, but they and I have an ongoing dispute over sunflower seeds in the birdfeeder -- they think the seeds are for them; i disagree, sometimes i throw a rock or two, though my arm and aim are nothing like they were.  The squirrels run off and bide their time.  Mowing  yesterday I noticed a faint thin path worn into the lawn, from the lilly garden to the sunflower feeder; the chipmunks also steal seeds, but for some reason I don't mind them as much.

It's so wonderful to be able to step outside myself, to rise above argument, and experience the wider world.  And amazing as it may seem, the only cost of admission is attention.
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

Whiteheron

Re: Can't complain (much)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
GrahamCracker,
You have a wonderful way with words. I found myself relax a little as I was imagining the world you were describing. Maybe tonight I will sit on the porch and try to relax  :yes:.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Grahamcracker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
Thank you WH, and you are welcome to stop by my metaphysical back porch any time.  Take a sip from the wine of wonder. 
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

Grahamcracker

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
And bring some honeybees.  I miss those.

Whiteheron

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
I have a few that visit my coneflowers  ;)
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

blacksheep7

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Hello GrahamCracker,

Along with Whiteheron, I agree that you have a way with words.  Your short stories are always so pleasant to read, relaxing.

I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

Grahamcracker

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
I don't do emoticons but if I did I'd do the one that blushes.

Thanks.