Financial question

• 2 Replies

tommom

Financial question
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
Just a quick question (and it this needs to be moved, mods, please do): I am now in charge of our finances and trying to squeak out a little extra money every month to save aside (without him knowing).

Do you manage to do that with a PD spouse? If so, how? I am thinking the food budget, since the other bils are pretty static, but does anyone else manage ways to do this?  Would love to hearyour suggestions.

Thanks, tommom
"It is not my job to fix other people; everyone is on their own journey."

Associate of Daniel

Re: Financial question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
I managed our finances and towards the end of our marriage I was paying for everything in cold hard cash. I would take out $500 and hide $50 in a safe place. When the remaining cash got low I'd withdraw another $500. My u/npd (now ex) H never took an interest in the finances so he never knew.

It didn't really help though,  as I kept having to use the hidden money to pay for his credit card.

But that may be something for you to consider. I hate that our lives (yours and mine) got to that point.

AOD

MidnightOwl

Re: Financial question
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
Good question  tommom, I've wondered about this as well. It's tricky but dealing in cash can be helpful, putting a bit aside from a withdrawal each time. Or getting a side job that receives tips/gets paid in cash can be really helpful. I get lots of tips and have managed to save up around 1,000$ on the side at times. But there are some issues with putting money aside. If there's any chance it will be declared during a divorce proceeding it will be mostly in vain and subject to 50% split. Of course you didn't mention that being the reason but just something to know. Also, I too have used my hard earned tips for credit debt and the needs of the day to day. Not my original intention but life happens. Gas, groceries, gifts, etc. So as much as I try, I find my stockpile being drained for one reason or another. Would love to hear some others responses to this question :)