Why narcissistic bosses are bad for business

• 3 Replies

Hazy111

VividImagination

• Administrator
  • Vivid the Blunt
Re: Why narcissistic bosses are bad for business
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
Certainly true IME. My NM owned a chain of businesses that I managed. She insisted on interfering quite often and managed to run off clients continually. She had to take about 18 months off due to cancer and the client based tripled in her absence. When she returned with her trollish ways, the new clients were shocked and disgusted "over that nasty old woman who thinks she's in charge" (I loved that one) and she managed to run them off as well. I quit less than a month after her return, and within six months she nearly bankrupted the business because she offended everyone she came in contact with.

She was later banned from her own businesses due to crimes s he committed, and it took my sister years to rebuild. She's yet to reach the previous levels she and I attained together during the cancer, and she has even admitted she wishes NM could have been banned then.
There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it, or leave it. If you cannot accept it, change it. I f you cannot change it, leave it.

Sometimes you're damned if you don't and damned if you do.. so damn well do what's best for you!

clara

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
How did they become bosses in the first place?  Because narcs are good at convincing others of abilities they don't have, character traits they don't possess etc.  They can lie their way upwards, and when they get there continue to lie to others and themselves to the point of paralyzing dysfunction.  And then they lie some more.  But, since as a culture we value the extroverted and "can-do" personality, we're primed to take style over substance.  It becomes unbelievable that someone so full of self-confidence, someone with so many seemingly good ideas, can fail so miserably.  It has to be someone else's fault.  There has to be something wrong somewhere else and not with the person at the top. 

Anyone who's known or worked with a narc who has visions of self-glory has seen these scenarios enacted time and again.  And the worst of it is, it seems it's the innocent and hard-workers who suffer, not the narc.  Narcs are perfectly able to start a fire then walk away from it, leaving others to put it out. 

WonderWifey

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
Yeah, my supervisor talked his way into heading up a pretty major project, and he insists on micromanaging it so much, it's going at a snail's pace. When his sup asks why, he "doesn't have enough subordinates". So they add me, and I spend half my day reading a book, because he can't let go of a single detail. He gets off too much on chewing us out for every tiny mistake, and changing the rules every couple of days to ensure he has plenty of chances.

It's gonna get back that I'm the one tattling on him to his sup, but that may be the only way to get out from under the bully.