Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

• 7 Replies

WomanInterrupted

• "They can't eat you" - Greg Proops
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:24:24 AM »
I always like a good Who quote.   :)

Follow up:  we won't get fooled again!   8-)

Some of you might remember DH started his new job May 1.  He's *very* happy, and I'm happy for him.   :thumbup:

A couple of weeks ago, he got a call from the sales manager at his old job - Ivan's replacement.  We'll call him Genghis. 

I imagine many of you already figured out how this is gonna go...   :evil2:

Genghis wasn't calling to ask about a tricky account or write DH up retro-actively (he's known for writing people up for infractions so minor, they didn't even know they were infractions  :???:) - he was offering DH his old job back.  More money!  401K!  3/4 of the health insurance paid!  Commission, too!

DH told him he'd think about it and yes, he'd talk to The Owner about it the next night.

Which DH did - apparently, The Owner did a complete shake-up and got rid of a lot of people.  The, "Do it your fucking self!  I'm BUSY!" attitude is no more.  Customers actually *matter* now, which was another of DH's biggest complaints.  You bring in car orders and they were looked upon with disdain, like you were bothering people by making them do their jobs.

DH told The Owner he'd think about it.   

Genghis called the next night, trying to lock DH down - DH told him he needed to think about it and speak to a former co-worker, who is known for being brutally honest.

Yes - he really did think they were blowing smoke up his ass, but the former co-worker confirmed things have really turned around - and their pricing is even more competitive.

DH was in a quandary after he got off the phone, and then Genghis called, not five minutes later.  DH blew him off.  I asked why.  He told me talking to these people makes him feel bad.

I laid a bit of truth on him from a recent thread.  Our ever-wise Vivid Imagination replied, "If it feels yucky, it is."

So that's what I told DH.  If it feels yucky, it is.

There's a *reason* it feels yucky.

He decided to decline the offer and ignored a few other calls from Genghis, who:

1.  Lets you get 3 words in and talks over the top of you, incessantly. 

2.  From another former co-worker:  emails you 15 times a day about unimportant stuff, and keeps emailing you with, "Where's my info?" - until you stop what you're doing and answer him, just to shut him the hell up so you can get some actual work done.   :aaauuugh:

THIS is the guy I put stock in - I've met him, he doesn't give a weird vibe, has worked with DH for 11 years, and he's got no agenda.   The afore-mentioned brutally honest guy *does*.   :snort:

Yeah...Genghis sounds like a REAL winner to me!   :upsidedown: :rundog: :spooked:

Genghis called DH as he was walking in the door and left a message.  DH told me he'd call him after dinner - but  Genghis called again and that really ticked DH off, so he passive-aggressively said it could wait a damned hour.

What DH did is a little childish, but I get it.  He hates being contanstly pestered about things that aren't going to happen right NOW - if anything were to happen, it would take at least 2 weeks, so waiting another hour isn't going to change anything. 

He was just about to call Genghis when his phone rang.  I heard DH yell, "ARRRRRRRRGH!" - but answer civilly and politely decline the offer.

*Not five minutes later* Genghis called back and this time, DH Medium Chilled him with, "No, I'm happy where I am.  I won't change my mind.  This is no longer open for discussion."

When Genghis asked if they could discuss it at a later date, DH said, "No."

Oh my God - he DOES listen to me!   :yahoo:

DH was irritated.  I asked, "If he's this annoying trying to get you into a job, what kind of nightmare is he going to turn into once you set a foot in the door?"

DH said, "Good point - and I'm not going to find out!"   ;D

I have a feeling Genghis isn't going to give up - like his constant, "Where's my info?" emails, this might escalate, because he's used to getting what he wants, by making himself annoying as many times as it takes. 

The only thing it's going to get him this time is having his number blocked.    :ninja:

I don't think this is about how awesome DH is at his job - he IS awesome at it, but I think it's transcended beyond that, in that weird PD way.

He's the hard-sell.  The one who got away.  The one who MUST come back to prove to The Industry that all is well in their little corner of the car world.  We're all one big happy family!  You can trust us!  He's a known public face of our Little Car Company and he's baaaaack, so you can buy with confidence, knowing Mr WI has your back all the way!

And he's not falling for it, knowing he'll probably be treated like a Scapegoat, with not "merely" 15 emails a day, demanding to know what's going on, but *dozens* - or more.

Nope...DH is happy and doing well where he is, with a NORMAL boss, and coworkers who actually are happy when you make a sale.

:sunny:

Bloomie

• Administrator
Re: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
Quote from: WomanInterrupted
I asked, "If he's this annoying trying to get you into a job, what kind of nightmare is he going to turn into once you set a foot in the door?"

:chickendance: So thankful your DH listened to "If it feels yucky, it is."

I can only imagine the drama and stress such an intrusive manager like Genghis would be.  :doh: No one needs that kind of negative force in their daily lives.

He's the hard-sell.  The one who got away.  The one who MUST come back to prove to The Industry that all is well in their little corner of the car world.  We're all one big happy family!  You can trust us!  He's a known public face of our Little Car Company and he's baaaaack, so you can buy with confidence, knowing Mr WI has your back all the way!

:yes: he wants to use DH not partner with him. And the sense of urgency that disrespects your DH's answers and attempts to bulldoze right over him to get what he wants is a huge red flag for you both.

Situation handled! And handled well.  :cheers:

Bloomie 🌸

looloo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
WI, there's a thread on here about what your mantra is. This is my new mantra:

"If it feels yucky, it is."

Thank you for this reminder!  And good for your husband! 
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”  Oscar Wilde.

"My actions are my true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."  Thich Nhat Hanh

TalenCrowhaven

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
Awesome.

Isn't it great when someone you love really "gets it" and they walk with you Out of the FOG?

:applause:

SmolderingDragon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
I have a feeling Genghis isn't going to give up - like his constant, "Where's my info?" emails, this might escalate, because he's used to getting what he wants, by making himself annoying as many times as it takes.  

This was my uPDm's managerial style before she retired, and trust me, it's no picnic!  This is how she bullied the more timid employees, not by emails, but by incessant harrassing phone calls until she got what she wanted. Others who could see through her bs would just tell her no and then not answer the phone if she called back.  :ninja:

Quote from: WomanInterrupted
I asked, "If he's this annoying trying to get you into a job, what kind of nightmare is he going to turn into once you set a foot in the door?"

:chickendance: So thankful your DH listened to "If it feels yucky, it is."

I can only imagine the drama and stress such an intrusive manager like Genghis would be.  :doh: No one needs that kind of negative force in their daily lives.

Yep, and the negativity is always what got my M fired from every job she ever worked. She might have been good at what she did, but she was terrible for overall morale and made the work environment unbearable with her nasty disposition.  It sucks having to work in those conditions. Your husband is wise to not go back to that, WI.
"Dracarys." — Daenerys Targaryen

"Some people bring joy wherever they go, and some people bring joy whenever they go." -- Mark Twain

WonderWifey

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
If the calls/emails keep up, look up your local Harrassment or Harrassing Communications laws. In my area, he's already across the line. :bigwink:

WomanInterrupted

• "They can't eat you" - Greg Proops
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:42:22 PM »
Thanks, everybody!   :yourock: :thewave:

For now, it's stopped, after one final call where Genghis said, "I don't think you realize what you're turning down!"

Ah...now he's passively-aggressively calling DH stupid.   :snort:

Genghis is the Sales Manager - he should know better.  Indirectly calling the customer or prospect you're trying to woo stupid is *never a good idea.*   :roll:

DH said he did understand and was happy where he was, so thank you, but no - and that was that, because you can't argue with *happy.*   8-)

More money does *not* equal happiness if the workplace is a toxic cesspool and the person you'll be answering to has a tendency to drive you nuts with minutiae.

I told DH I don't think this will be the last of it - once their quarterly numbers come up lousy again in a few months (around Christmas) or right before the Big Car Show, it may start up again - and DH said he'd consider blocking Genghis' number *and* telling the Owner what he's doing is bordering on harassment, which really doesn't make it seem like a welcoming, positive work atmosphere.   :ninja:

I'm really glad DH has come so far.  His own FOO is as messed up as mine (we're NC), so he's had a lot of issues to work through, himself.  He really started taking interest when he saw the positive effects this site has had on me.   :)

I've really changed a lot since I started posting here - and so has he.   :yahoo:

One of his changes is that once upon a time, he'd have been absolutely incandescent I'd posted about any of this - now, he's VERY interested in what you all have to say, because he values your thoughts and opinions as much as I do!   ;D

I like seeing DH happy again - but, he's still working through a lot of issues Ivan kicked up, about not being good enough.

His new boss, Lou, *tells* DH how happy he is with him and not, "Why didn't you do better!?!?"

And there's no bombardment of, "Where's my info?" emails.   :thumbup:

DH has a job where he can - gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasp - actually *go to work and do his job* and not spend most of his day figuring out how to get the Eye of Sauron off his ass.

There's a LOT to be said for that.   :sunny:

WonderWifey

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »
Where is this new workplace, and are there any openings?  :tongue2:

I needed some hope that bosses like that exist today, thanks!