How to survive gaslighting: when manipulation erases your reality.

Started by guitarman, March 29, 2018, 12:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarman

There is an interesting article on The Guardian newspaper's website about gaslighting. It is written by a woman who experienced gaslighting throughout her childhood.

She describes what happened to her growing up and strategies others can use to cope.

"How to survive gaslighting: when manipulation erases your reality."

https://tinyurl.com/h7d6ypa

Best wishes

guitarman
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

D.Dan

This article actually answered a few questions for me. Thank you for sharing. :)

The New Me!

Thanks for sharing.  A very helpful and interesting read.

Gromit

I thought this was an excellent article so I shared it on a support page for Childhood Emotional Neglect & someone objected because it was political.  :aaauuugh:

solongStockholm

Quote from: Gromit on April 02, 2018, 03:07:28 AM
I thought this was an excellent article so I shared it on a support page for Childhood Emotional Neglect & someone objected because it was political.  :aaauuugh:

Mind sharing the page?

Gromit

Gwen

A wonderful find and informative article. I needed to read this today. Thank you for the share.

11JB68

I liked this line: "Because the person gaslighting will never be able to respond to logic and reason – and so you have to be the one to recognize that logic and reason can't be applied."

This has been part of my recent journey - recognizing that logic and reason can't be applied (even though/especially because the PD in my life PRIDES himself on his use of logic and reason!!) It's his own VERSION of logic/reason...but is both illogical and unreasonable. And if I question/argue he will pointedly ask "Am I being unreasonable?" with a tone/facial expression that says he expects me to say no.