Vitamins help?

• 6 Replies

Gardener

Vitamins help?
« on: March 31, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »
Hello!

Have any of you found that different vitamins help with emotional issues such as depression, anger, anxiety, etc?  My teen DD finally agreed to start taking vitamin B and it seems to be helping her not get so angry.  She also takes Calm Kids by Terry Naturally and it helps a bit with her anxiety but I'm never sure when it will wear off or if a situation is too difficult for her to handle even with the vitamins and Calm Kids.   

For years I kept a food log and tried different diets to see if it would help her stay calmer but the vitamin B seems to help the best.  Any other thoughts about what supplements help?  Someone told me that Vitamin D might help her.  We have had blood work and it has come back normal regarding if she is low in any of these vitamins.  The only thing I can think of is she needs an extra amount - more than what most people do to help regulate her emotions.

Thank you for your help.  I am at the point that either she is going to have to leave the house or I am moving away to live near family and she will have to move in with a friend.  I want to leave her able to cope effectively with whatever happens and not lose her temper and break things.  But, I have got to get my life back.  I remember that there is a more "normal" life to live and I can't let her keep stealing mine anymore!

guitarman

Re: Vitamins help?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
I have a uBPD/uNPD sister who has severe extreme rages when in a crisis. So I know how disturbing that can be.

I don't know much about diet and vitamins but she tries all sorts of things to help herself such as getting off sugar. I've given up caffeine and drink decaffinated tea and coffee and don't have any sugar in them. I think that has helped my own health and temperament.

There are several books about the subject under "mood and food" such as those by Patrick Holford.

Here is an article by him called "Improve you child's mood and concentration."

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/improve-your-childs-mood-and-concentration

I'm just about to buy a book by the nutritionist Jane Clarke. It is called "Nourish".

It's something I'm interested in for myself as I believe that if you eat a well balanced healthy diet you shouldn't need to take extra expensive vitamins, some which your body can't absorb if you take too much and only get flushed away anyway.

There are some foods that we need to eat in order for our bodies and minds to function properly. How foods interact with each other is also important.

Any decent health food shop should be able to help you if you have one nearby. They usually have books to buy on the subject as well.

I steer away from homeopathy as I don't believe in it but rather try a holistic approach to food and supplements if needed.

I'm sorry to hear that things have become so stressful for you.

I wonder what mental health support your daughter and you are getting?

It would be good if she were to begin to recognise the signs of her mood swings and try other coping mechanisms and strategies other than having rages. She could try Mindfulness, CBT, DBT or Mentalization. They are all useful skills for everyone to learn.

It's good to know that she's had blood tests done and it all was normal as some people have conditions where they manifest as mood swings and can be eased with suitable medications. Perhaps it can be further investigated with your doctor.

You seem to have been having a really tough time and need some respite from it all. I know how that feels.

I hope you find this site supportive and get help from others here going through similar difficulties.

Best wishes

guitarman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:07:51 PM by guitarman »
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

Vi

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
I am someone who needs Vitamin B for depression.  If I don't have enough, I will start craving foods that have it abundantly.  I take a supplement each day to make sure I have enough.  It works incredibly for me.

Gardener

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
Thank you both for your input.  I will do some more research about healthy eating.  I appreciate the resources information.  We have a health food store in town - I will swing by there, too.

My DD is getting some counsel here in town but she only reveals a little of what is going on to her counselor.  I also have a counselor out of town.  We don't go to the same person.  DD is very wary of letting people "into her head" as she calls it.  Her counselor has recommended some books for her to read and that is helpful when DD reads them.

She is involved with some youth groups through some local churches and being involved with them seems to help her the most.  My DD has tried different youth groups and is drawn to the quieter ones with gentle people.  They seem to allow her to learn social rules at her own pace without too much harsh judgment.   

It is just so hard sometimes being the one who gets all the "yuck" of her day after all of the work I have done to try and help her.  I have decided she is going to have to move out of my house and live at the college in town this fall.  She was not excited when I told her about it at first but since I don't have a second car for her and can't take her back and forth to college every day, it will work out better.  It is only a small junior college and we both know almost everyone that works there, so she will have a safety net of people watching out for her.  She will have to learn to find healthy friends in the dorm.  When I filled out her housing papers, I let the staff know about her sensory processing disorder. Hopefully, that will help the dorm leader know how to interact with her better.

Making her leave is so difficult for me, but I get on this forum and feel strengthened by the comments back and forth between members.  It reminds me that I am NOT POWERLESS!  I have felt powerless for years, trying to take care of her needs first but that was a lie that I learned watching my grandmother and mother live small, empty lives at the expense of everyone else.  I don't have to do that.  I have to trust that God can take care of her and send the right people into her life.  I can't carry her anymore.

Gardener

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »
Well, things are going better.  Vitamin B12 and regular Vitamin B are helping my daughter to stay calmer. That, and finding some friends who have similar issues to hers that aren't afraid to talk about it.  When she connected with them, it was like a huge load lifted off of her before my eyes!  I am so happy for her that she doesn't feel alone and odd anymore.

I decided to have blood work on myself done and I needed vitamin D which is helping me to feel calmer and not so overwhelmed with all of the changes going on this year in our lives (yay!).  I have also been able to be stronger in laying down the law about DD behaviors and attitudes.  It is hard to be the "enforcer" as it is not my natural bent, but someone has to steer the boat.  Incredibly, rereading my Lauraine Snelling books about pioneer women settling North Dakota has also really been good for me.  They encourage me to walk tall and put my big girl boots on to be able to handle the manure in life! 

11JB68

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »
I read something once about b12 being helpful for anxiety and for spectrum disorders.... UPDh has Bern taking our for a while and it does seem to have helped Bit

Vi

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
I received a surprise belated Mothers'  Day gift yesterday, and it is already helping me to keep calm.  A set of organic essential oils and a diffuser from, Amazon.  I have been under great stress for about a month.  I plugged it right in, chose orange oil which is supposed to make one feel joy and happiness.  It worked for me.  Perhaps for you as well.