Lovely church experience

• 2 Replies

raindrop

Lovely church experience
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
So I swapped churches a while ago, before I came Out of the FOG, to help out with a friend's church. But that all sort of fell apart, so I went back to the old one.

The first Sunday back the preacher talked about boundaries and how sometimes you have to push destructive people out of your life, even if they're your own family, so that Jesus can bring you to life (it was the story of Jairus' daughter and how Jesus pushed everyone out who wasn't helping the situation).

I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and it was so comforting to know that this is a place where people know what you have to sometimes do an why, and no one will judge me for it.

Has anyone else found a supportive church or other group like this?
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Bloomie

• Administrator
Re: Lovely church experience
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »
raindrop - that does sound like a validating and lovely service and healthy message!

For years we attended a church that was filled with people  who were acting as a large unhealthy paternalistic family system. The further OOTF we came the more perspective we had and we had to move on. It was one of the most painful emotional and spiritual experiences of my life. Leaving this unhealthy system meant being discarded by those who had long claimed they were family to us and were integral to our lives and the lives of our children.

We were met with outrage and then silence when we lovingly and with humility spoke out against sending someone back into an abusive relationship and an unbiblical and inappropriate level of authority that the church leadership had taken over people.

We have since found a healthy faith community that is filled with joy - not obligation - and where there is a top down recognition that life, relationships, are messy and we are often dealing with serious issues of long standing abuse in our families. It is truly wonderful and I am so grateful to be on the other side of that.
Bloomie 🌸
"Manipulation is deception at its highest art form. It is my attempt to make you believe that what is best for me is best for you." Beth Moore

LeeJane

Re: Lovely church experience
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »
Raindrop, how wonderful and validating.

I have experienced similar when listening to both Joyce Meyer and Joel Olsteen on You Tube.  They both talk of cutting out toxic people from your life. Also about setting boundaries.  Joyce in particular talks of self worth, personal growth. 

I find them both very uplifting.