Wait time for out Patient Program support, 5 months

• 4 Replies

momma

Wait time for out Patient Program support, 5 months
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »
My daughter, who is BPD checked herself into the hospital on Thursday, with suicidal thoughts.  Our Ontario medical system completely let her down and simply left her in a room for 8 hours, and she spoke to a crisis worker for 10 minutes, then nothing.  She attempted to leave after 8 hours, and was told she couldnt.  She was hungry and tired, and emotionally exhausted, and they werent doing anything!  Then a doctor came in, suggested she wean off her current RX (she believes the medication is making her suicidal) and then the outpatient program would get in touch.  Well five days later, she phoned the hospital and was told it would be a  5 month wait.
How does one fast track to get help? Obviously being completely suicidal isnt enough? any suggestions from anyone who has been in this position?

coyote

• Global Moderator
Re: Wait time for out Patient Program support, 5 months
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
momma,
I'm really sorry this happened. I thought the U.S. was bad when it comes to MH care. No I don't have any advice but just wanted you to know I realize how bad this sucks.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
 Wayne Dyer

“The only person educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.”  Carl Rogers

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

momnthefog

• Host Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
momma,

Welcome to OOTF and to the Parent's Board.

I have no experience with your health care system.  Ours in the US isn't much better for those struggling with mental illness.

Since you d has a BPD dx, could she return more quickly to the dr who diagnosed her or who prescribed her current meds?   
"She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.  She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."

momma

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
she has switched schools/cities... she does see a counsellor today...and hopefully will get some urgency to the situation!  thanks for the support!

coyote

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
No problem. Sure hope this helps facilitate the process. Keep us up to date. Wishing you peace and strength.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
 Wayne Dyer

“The only person educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.”  Carl Rogers

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow