Racing thoughts

• 6 Replies

Amadahy

• When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Racing thoughts
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
Hi y'all,

I won't go into specifics, but I am extremely impacted by racing thoughts, especially in the middle of the night. These are so "out there" that my rational mind is like "Whaaaat," but my  animal mind is off to the races. Only after a few hours, when I am worn out, can I relax a little.  Then, it's time to get going for the day.

I hope very few of you have experienced, but if you have, what has helped?  I'm wearing out. My waking hours see me hyper-vigilant, as well.  It's kind of like a default state now.

Thanks, all. :hug:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:57:46 PM by Amadahy »
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

notrightinthehead

• Host Member
Re: Racing thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
Is it anxiety?  I have had that at certain stages in my life.  I find that no problem seems solvable at 3 in the morning.  I listened to recordings of guided meditation  or relaxation after lying awake for a while. They usually helped me to fall asleep again.

Whiteheron

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Have you tried melatonin? It helps DS, who has anxiety, fall asleep and stay asleep.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

DJCleo

• I'm sorry in advance. I make a lot of mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
I've been in the habit of using essential oils as part of my bedtime routine. I also am sure not to have ANY CAFFEINE past 3 pm or I will not sleep that night. I agree that it sounds like anxiety as well, but the causes of anxiety are not always clear. Since doing an elimination diet, most of my sleep at night has been a lot more sound, but taking certain vitamins after work even is too late for me and I won't sleep. Some foods were actually keeping me up at night.

If the other solutions posted don't help, then I'd try adjusting your sleep routine. Do you dim or shut off the lights when you're ready to sleep? Do you read before settling in to sleep? Do you have a routine?

I find that making sure I have everything ready for the morning helps too.

Summer Sun

• Host Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:34:31 PM »
Ahmadahy, Iíve found that soothing background noise or distraction helps, like a really low volume TV program at 2:00 a.m. takes the focus off my racing thoughts. 

The other thing that works is silently telling myself, I am safe, I am safe, I am safe, or, direct thoughts in the area of gratitude,  Giving thanks for the day, the seasons, the colours, my home, DH, divine creation etc. 

Wishing you sweet dreams.

Summer Sun
"The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Indifference" - Elie Wiesel

athene1399

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:41:49 AM »
Meditation has helped for me. It's basically practice for clearing your mind. That way I can stop the racing thoughts at bedtime. It takes a lot of practice though. But my insomnia has decreased significantly. I hardly get insomnia and I used to have it all the time. I've also been meditating for almost ten years. You don't get success overnight. It is a slow process, but I feel it's worth it. :) Another thing I've read is to avoid looking at a screen (phone/tablet) an hour to half-hour before bed. The blue light throws your sleep rhythm off. There's also teas that can help calm the mind, like chamomile. Or you could try relaxing yoga.

I'm trying to throw out everything I can think of because different things work for different people. I hope some of the suggestions help!  :)

all4peace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
Centering prayer is supposed to help.

When I had this, years ago, it was nonstop rumination. I had fairly significant anxiety and my brain would wake me up in the middle of the night, racing. For me, it was trying to solve an unsolvable problem, and once I got into therapy I finally gained some tools for how to frame the problem and deal with it.

I hope you find some relief!