Soap Operas

• 5 Replies

myself

Soap Operas
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
The one PD that I am well acquainted with watches a lot of daytime television, and I actually used to attribute much of her disordered behaviour to a combination of low intelligence (which was a mistake, it's mental laziness, not lack of intelligence.  Like a snake who pretends to be slow and lazy until it's near enough to strike.) and too many hours spent in front of soaps.  So many of her mannerisms would be better placed on the soap screen - the dramatic exit, the nose-in-the-air "wEll..." etc.  As I have learned more about N traits, though, I realise that there are other people I have known who I suspect of having a high level of traits, if not actual NPD (I don't know them well enough to guess), and being *really* into soaps, to the exclusion of  other things, seems to be a common thread.  I am wondering, is this just a coincidence in the small sample of my acquaintance, or have others noticed a connection?

I am wondering about it because I wonder whether the attraction is the emotional highs.  Do narcs watch soaps in the same way someone who really loves food might watch cooking shows?  The feeling of righteous judgement seems to be the main emotion of the NPD in my life, and she certainly seems to get high on that watching daytime telly, soaps and talk shows.    The exclusion of other interests does hint at someone who is extremely shallow and uninterested in much outside of their own emotional experience. 

11JB68

Re: Soap Operas
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:48 PM »
" to the exclusion of  other things"
Anything done to excess to the exclusion of other things could be obsessive compulsive behavior which is a common trait of PDs

clara

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
 :yeahthat:  For NPDs, their obsession with repeating certain behaviors in certain ways at certain times seems part of their massive self-involvement, as if they're telling others that they're putting themselves first in these circumstances, no matter what, and whether or not you like it or if it inconveniences you.  And yes, I knew a NPD who obsessively watched RomComs, usually the same ones over and over, because he copied the behavior of the characters.  He seemed to believe that real life should be like a RomCom, so would act accordingly.  The real world and real people didn't interest him, what interested him was his fantasy of what reality should be.  He would personally relate to someone in the movie, and would assign other people in his life roles as well, because he so closely identified with the action and the characters.  Of course, it didn't matter whether or not any of that was true, what mattered was his desire for his life to reflect his favorite movie.

11JB68

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
I wonder too, if it's a form of escapism for them. I know that my uPDh is really pretty obsessed with watching TV, any TV. He will re-watch the same shows that he likes, etc. and 'must' be home in front of the TV by a certain time at night to be content. Needs to watch while going to sleep at night. (Though as I'm typing this, I acknowledge that MY escapism is reading books...so I'm not saying that escapism is 'bad' per se).
But in uPDh's case I do feel like it's an 'addiction' of sorts. If we go away for a weekend and there is no tv or it doesn't work, etc, it makes him very anxious (god forbid he should have to interact....power outages are tough for him.)

Swarley

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
Well, conflict= attention, which most PD's are after, and why their relationships tend to be fraught with drama. Soaps are full of this kind of stuff; they might find that quite satisfying.

Gwen

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:10 PM »
Both my uNPDm & uNPDSis watch every soap going. Them and tabloid talk shows too. My mother even assigns what character she thinks my father, brothers & sister are, in whichever soap has the juiciest story. They both become wrapped up in story lines and say that itís real life!  I donít watch soaps but my mother will tell me about a storyline that sheís following - usually a family dispute, ill health, death in the family, dysfunctional story line...and will say I should watch the story as itís really good. My mother will watch episodes back to back for a couple of hours and get what I call a high from watching them. :doh: