Honey do lists

• 3 Replies

logistics

Honey do lists
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
Spouse likes to leave me notes to day. There's no asking of gratitude. There is no affection just a list of items. Run this errand,  do this task...I don't expect any signs of gratitude after tasks are done. I'd like to call it another type of list but I'd get censored.  Is this a common behavior? Am I over reacting? How do I solve this treatment?  Am I too sensitive?

Starboard Song

• Global Moderator
  • Live without want or complaint, and die singing.
Re: Honey do lists
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »
I think this is something that many healthy people succumb to: they take their SO for granted, and fail to express little thank yous. So your spouse's behavior may be nothing. It is probably just a habit.

But you aren't too sensitive: these little thank yous are the gracious gestures that sustain us. They are so easy and tiny, but they are very important. My wife made the bed yesterday because I had gotten in very late from the airport. "Thanks for getting the bed, sweetie." It seems so simple, but it is the food of love.

And when we are married for a good while, it gets to be that we count the missed tasks instead of thanking someone for all the good they do every day. That habit we all struggle against is corrosive to feelings of love and appreciation.

You can build a deliberate culture of appreciation in your home.

Do you thank your spouse for a majority of the meals served to you? Do you find little things, like -- they got you more of the coffee you drink without you mentioning it, so "Hey, sweetie! Thanks for thinking about that coffee: now I'm ready for Saturday morning!" Do you occasionally offer to rebalance workloads or standard chores? If you have kids, do you stop once a week or so to acknowledge all their hard work for school?

Maybe your spouse has PD-type issues that make this a challenge. And you may need to be very forthright about how you are feeling, observing that it is your own feeling and need: not an accusation. "Maybe we are falling into this habit, and I don't want to. You are far too important to me for us to get stuck in any sort of rut. Because every day we each do so much for each other, that to think of taking that for granted, or of either of us coming to feel unappreciated, just breaks my heart."

At the very least, lead by example.

Good strength to you!
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason

logistics

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 11:43:13 PM »

Do you thank your spouse for a majority of the meals served to you? Spouse has never served me a meal.
Do you find little things, like -- they got you more of the coffee you drink without you mentioning it,
Spouse never has bought me my favorite coffee. Last Christmas my gift from spouse was two candy bars. Which spouse ended up eating without asking my permission.
 Do you occasionally offer to rebalance workloads or standard chores?
I do 95% of the chores.
If you have kids, do you stop once a week or so to acknowledge all their hard work for school? I always acknowledge their effort.

Maybe your spouse has PD-type issues that make this a challenge. And you may need to be very forthright about how you are feeling, observing that it is your own feeling and need: not an accusation. "Maybe we are falling into this habit, and I don't want to. You are far too important to me for us to get stuck in any sort of rut. Because every day we each do so much for each other, that to think of taking that for granted, or of either of us coming to feel unappreciated, just breaks my heart."
I tell spouse occasionally and it either changes briefly or I get ridiculed for my feelings.
At the very least, lead by example.

Thank you Starboard Song

Starboard Song

• Global Moderator
  • Live without want or complaint, and die singing.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »
I'm very sorry. So much for the optimistic path.

It maybe time to consult with a T. Maybe others here have had similar experiences. Clearly this is a deep issue.

Again, though, good strength to you!
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason