Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

• 2 Replies

LenKagamine

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.
« on: November 09, 2018, 01:32:39 AM »
I know exactly what I am going to get when I am conversing with the narcissists in my family.  So, why was a part of me always expecting a different result and leaving me feeling disappointed?

They have their issues.  I have my own issues.  I have enough trash on my side of the street to work on.  When I take the dismissive words of a narcissist personally, that means I am taking on something that I really have no right to take on.

Words and acts of outrageous dishonesty deserve no relevance in my headspace.

I will try to forgive and start taking better care of myself, because I cannot care for others if I keep putting myself in situations where I know I will want to feel like a victim at the end of the day.  Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

LeeJane

Re: Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
Great post.  Thank you for sharing. 

I am working on myself too.  I tell myself doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results is insanity.  I pause and  think before I open my mouth to engage now.  Saves so much upset.

Onwards.

all4peace

• Global Moderator
Re: Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
I remember some phrases that helped me when I first joined the forum:

"The one who cares the least, wins."
"Drop the rope."

It helped me at that time to learn to walk away, because really I was playing stupid games and wining stupid prizes :) It's a great way of describing it!