Mixed type personality disorder?

Started by accrep, March 02, 2020, 09:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

accrep

Does anyone here know nothing bout  the mixed type personality disorder?

My husband was recently diagnosed with  mild mixed borderline, paranoid and dependent personality disorder. He doesn't fight the diagnosis  and is beginning therapy in seven days.   

But you know, it kind of turned my world upside down, because so many people was convinced that our issues was mostly mine because they never see the dark side of him so to speak. 
I don't have anyone to speak to about this.

blunk

So sorry that you're going through this. And I'm sorry to hear that you don't have anyone to speak with. Would it be possible for you to see a therapist of your own? Whether or not you do, this forum is definitely a good place to share, if you're looking for advice or simply for others to listen and to reassure you that you're not alone in what you're going through.

My xh was diagnosed with BPD, but in reading the traits section if this website and other resources I found that he had traits for other PDs as well. It also seems, to me, that there is a good deal of overlap between the traits of the various PDs, specifically those from the same "Cluster". Also, from reading the posts of others, it seems that most PD individuals don't truly fit one "PD type", and may exhibit behaviors that are a mix of 2 or more.

It is promising that your h is not fighting the diagnosis, and is willing to go to therapy. My advice is, please be cautious anyway. It is common for some PDs to show initial improvement through therapy, only to return to their original behaviors over time. I found journaling to be a big help as my memory tended to fade during periods of good behavior. After a time I would doubt that it was as bad as I had remembered. Reading back gave me the reality check that I needed to eventually end the marriage. Not to say that is the right course of action for you, only you can make that determination.

Good luck to you.

startwhereyouare

I am glad you posted, and hope you find helpful information on here. I also agree with blunk on several key points. Hope you will find a good therapist of your own, not a marriage counselor. And journaling is a great resource for yourself, if not full blown but smaller, notes even, in your phone. It comes in handy when your met with FOG or confusion , and can help to reflect on the reality of what took place.
In my experience, my stbexbp received a diagnosis of anxiety & depression. None of the Clusters PD's were on the radar in the beginning. It was gradual,. He was content just to use meds when he felt overwhelmed to calm him, and talk therapy was over rated in his words. his additional diagnoses came after his numerous attempts and flights out of therapy. It wasn't until I was in therapy myself to cope with his emotional and irrational outbursts that I began to understand PD's can also be on a spectrum, so learning how to identify AND articulate pattern behaviors was helpful for me on my journey. Your partner is willing to participate, and that is a positive. It would be beneficial for you if you can to find a good therapist for your own support and well being. Knowledge is power. Lots of positive vibes.

ScotsLady

Hi,
My husband has Mixed Personality Disorder too.  I remember when he was diagnosed the Consultant saying that he covered all areas of the disorders.  He won't accept the diagnosis and is in deep denial so good to know that your husband is so accepting of it.

I wish you and your husband well. x  :)

Bowsy26

Mine was given a diagnosis that was something like Cluster B Mixed Type, Narcissistic something or other.  You'd think I could remember, but I was so amazed and shocked that there was actually a name for what I had been living with for so long.  Usually counselors would give an upbeat "this is what the real problem has been and H is going to do much better" or some variation.  He'd been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, PTSD, suicidal ideation (yeah, right...I've never seen him ever do anything that remotely suggested he was feeling suicidal and I'm not being insensitive, just realistic).  Reading about Cluster B personality disorders opened up my eyes.  Until Covid-19 hit, I planned to leave in early July.  I set him up with a trip to a rodeo which is on his bucket list and was looking for an apartment to move to while he is gone.  Unfortunately,  if this plays out as they are hoping with the flattened curve, the risk of infection will still be around and I am at increased risk.  So I may have to come up with a plan B.  I don't want to deal with  him when I am leaving.