Hi there. Still wiping fog off my glasses

Started by TurmericAndHoney, April 18, 2019, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurmericAndHoney

So I've finally figured out that I am not the defective person I thought I was, that I did not singlehandedly create my crappy life ("Take responsibility! Don't play the victim!"), and that my mother is no saint. Oh dear. At least I can stop feeling guilty for avoiding her most of the time nowadays. She looks, walks, and talks like a person with paranoid personality disorder, which would explain quite a lot. 
It's some small comfort and relief to know that a whole bunch of stuff I thought was my fault, never was my fault.

coyote

Hi Tumericand honey,
Welcome to Out of the FOG. There is a board specifically on dealing with PD parents. The Toolbox is a great place to spend time in also.  You will find this a supportive and understanding community. Once again welcome!
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius

guitarman

Welcome. You are not alone.

It can be very freeing to realise that you are not responsible for anyone else's behaviour. You can't change or control them. You can only change or control your own behaviour.

I learnt about the three Cs here. I didn't cause it. I can't cure it. I can't change it.

Best wishes

guitarman X
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

TurmericAndHoney