living in the shadow (BPD sister)

Started by wish_bone, November 30, 2022, 11:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wish_bone

I lived in the shadow of my BPD sister my whole life. Whether she was stealing the show at family events or having a mental breakdown at home, all eyes were on her... always....

Standing in the spotlight, she earned laughs by putting me down. "Take a joke", she'd say when I stood up for myself "It's not that serious" would come next if I held my ground. At home, she lashed out at me when no one was around and then manipulated her way into being the victim if our parents got involved. I felt invisible...always...

No one saw what I saw. No one wanted to believe my sister could truly be manipulative. I know now that no one had the capacity to accept that reality.

notrightinthehead

Welcome! I am sorry you had to find us and glad you did. You are not alone and we understand. You understand of course, that you cannot change your family of origin and their dynamics. But you can build yourself a healthy family of choice, a healthy network of friends. Start by reading the list of traits and the Toolbox. See you around on the boards!
I can't hate my way into loving myself.