HPD Mother

Started by Time4healing, February 03, 2023, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time4healing

Just discovered this site and am so grateful.  I'm a middle aged adult female who has always known something wasn't right with my mother.  I was diagnosed with C-PTSD a couple of years ago.  I had thought she was a narcissist and wasn't familiar with HPD.  I started reading and am shocked!  I would bet that there aren't 2 characteristics shown that she does not extremely exhibit regularly.  Childhood and teen years were rough.  I'm so glad to be here to learn and to heal further.  I've come a long way but being able to put a label on her behavior helps to make so much more sense. 

notrightinthehead

Welcome to this informative and supportive site! I am glad you found us. Check out the Toolbox for strategies when you need to protect yourself. See you around on the boards.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

NarcKiddo

Welcome.

I agree it does help to be able to put some sort of label on a PD, if only for objective confirmation that we weren't making it all up and imagining things. My therapist has pointed out to me that all these conditions exist on a spectrum. I also feel that although my parents would primarily be narcs were they to be diagnosed, they exhibit very different behaviour patterns and there are probably other things in the mix. I visualise some huge, terrible Venn diagram sometimes! Your supposition that your mother is a narc may not be entirely wrong even if HPD fits her better. And whatever the position, the only person you can work on is yourself, so I wish you strength and peace as you navigate these horrid, turbulent waters.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

SonofThunder

Quote from: notrightinthehead on February 04, 2023, 01:19:02 AM
Welcome to this informative and supportive site! I am glad you found us. Check out the Toolbox for strategies when you need to protect yourself. See you around on the boards.
:yeahthat:

Another warm welcome here, Time4healing!   See you around the boards.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.