Excessive sleeping

Started by Cascade, June 01, 2022, 04:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Is sleeping a lot more than average a PD trait? I know it can be a sign of sleep apnea or maybe another health problem but my PD husband has been sleeping a lot ever since I've known him, back when he was in his early 20's. He often has an evening nap and then sleeps all night too. On his days off, it's not uncommon for him to nap twice during the day.
I know someone else with PD traits that has a really odd sleeping cycle too, but in their case they stay up all night and only get about 4 hours of sleep most nights.

justducky

My mother, who enabled my uPD father for 40+ years and might be a covert narc, started sleeping excessively when I was a teenager. In her case I think it was a combination of sleep apnea* and exhaustion and depression from being abused by my father. He enjoyed depriving us of sleep with his whining and circular arguments.

It's possible that some PDs are chronically depressed. One symptom of depression is excessive sleeping.

* She had classic symptoms but wouldn't get treatment.

square

My instinct is that if it's related, it's indirect.

One possibility is that PDs may have a higher incidence of PTSD and sleep can be affected.

Another idea is that poor insight and self discipline may exacerbate poor sleep management.

Jsinjin

I'm both joking (being tongue in cheek) and serious.  I find that excessive sleeping began for me at age 50.   For some reason I got exhausted and so did my uOCPDw.   I don't know if sleeping more or less is related to PD or just factors of age, metabolism, sleep disorder, use or technology at night, diet, exercise and the many other things that keep us or prevent us from sleeping
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

Cat of the Canals

PDmil is the opposite. She's always been somewhat of an insomniac. She routinely sends my husband [absolutely mundane] texts at 3 AM, and is the reason we both keep our phones on "Do Not Disturb" during sleeping hours.