I think I am in trouble over this will, please read

Started by AlisonWonder, March 09, 2021, 04:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlisonWonder

I really need advice.
I was gifted something in someone's will, and it seems my uPD sister has it and has told the firm she will deliver it to me.
The money from the will cannot be distributed until the firm's fees are set.
The firms fees can't be set until the gifting is complete.
The gifting isn't complete until the firm receives a document from each person confirming they received their gift.
My sister is unreliable and unpredictable and I have been NC with her for a few years.
It's not in her interests to drop the stuff at my house without seeing me receive it personally, but we live hours apart so timing is important. 
It's not within my power to negotiate with her because she has always seemed very passive-aggressive.
If I contact the firm to say I can't negotiate with her, I am causing trouble.
If I can't sign the document when they want me to, because it is a lie, I am causing big trouble as it will stall the will process for who knows how long.
If the stuff goes missing, I can never sign the document.

I am willing to drive there and collect the stuff from the firm, if they can get it for me.
I am willing to get a courier to collect it from the firm, if they can get it for me.
I would trust the firm to send it to me at my expense, if they can get it for me.
But they would want an explanation of why this is necessary.

Can you think of any way I can resolve this?  I was the scapegoat in my FOO.

Thank you for reading.

DistanceNotDefense

I would see if, like you said, you could work with the firm or get a courier to retrieve the gift without having to deal with her directly.

If this firm specializes in wills they have probably dealt with inter-familial drama on numerous occasions, maybe even worse drama than you're dealing with now, and I'd think they'd at the very least hear your situation out as they've probably seen things similar to this many times before....

Hilltop

I'm sure they are use to dealing with people who live far apart and are not able to physically be there to obtain gifts.  I would contact the firm and tell them you are not local and cannot due to work and family commitments get there.  Ask them what options they have.  They are sure to have options in this case.  Even if your sister brings the gift to them and they courier it to you.    They would have to deal with people from all different states and I'm sure they will have something to offer.  As for them being involved I'm sure if you keep it simple and just say that you are estranged from your sister and would rather they deal with the communication.  If they are use to handling wills they would definitely be use to this sort of thing, its more common than you think. Don't go into details with them just keep it simple and I'm sure they will offer a solution for you.

Does your sister get money once the gifting is done?  If she is to receive money then I doubt she will not do the gifting.

AlisonWonder

Thank you Distance, this sounds like good advice to me.  She would need to take the stuff to the firm though as I can't ask a courier to try to deal with her.

Quote from: DistanceNotDefense on March 09, 2021, 04:42:52 PM
I would see if, like you said, you could work with the firm or get a courier to retrieve the gift without having to deal with her directly.

If this firm specializes in wills they have probably dealt with inter-familial drama on numerous occasions, maybe even worse drama than you're dealing with now, and I'd think they'd at the very least hear your situation out as they've probably seen things similar to this many times before....

AlisonWonder

Thank you Hilltop I like your words "would rather they deal with the communication", it's softer than "I absolutely cannot even srart".
Keep it simple is good advice :)

Quote from: Hilltop on March 09, 2021, 05:22:50 PM
I'm sure they are use to dealing with people who live far apart and are not able to physically be there to obtain gifts.  I would contact the firm and tell them you are not local and cannot due to work and family commitments get there.  Ask them what options they have.  They are sure to have options in this case.  Even if your sister brings the gift to them and they courier it to you.    They would have to deal with people from all different states and I'm sure they will have something to offer.  As for them being involved I'm sure if you keep it simple and just say that you are estranged from your sister and would rather they deal with the communication.  If they are use to handling wills they would definitely be use to this sort of thing, its more common than you think. Don't go into details with them just keep it simple and I'm sure they will offer a solution for you.

Does your sister get money once the gifting is done?  If she is to receive money then I doubt she will not do the gifting.