Would anyone recommend this book?

Started by IWasNeverReallyHere, February 08, 2019, 02:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IWasNeverReallyHere

I just picked up the book 'Healing from Hidden Abuse' by Shannon Thomas. It's the first book I've been interested in since going NC/LC with my mother.

I guess what appealed to me is the key word 'Hidden' as that's exactly how the abuse seemed to be delivered. Kept under the radar, behind closed doors, disguised, covered up, so that it would be almost impossible to prove to anyone, that this was going on. So that the abuser is less likely to be held accountable. That was one of the toughest aspects of the abuse, being believed by anyone and not gaslighted.

I'm kind of reluctant to go through the book as I'm sure it will resurface and possibly trigger many emotions and cause me to look back on certain events and horrible experiences that I would just rather not be reminded of. But I guess a certain amount of reflection is required to go through this healing process, which I'm not sure if I'm even doing anyway. Moving forward, trying different therapies I guess are all a part of working on myself.

Has anyone else been through this book and gotten a lot out of it....

notrightinthehead

I got a lot from it. I recommend it. Check out the book reviews.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

practical

I recommend it too, doesn't mater whether you are at the beginning of your journey Out of the FOG or further along.

Here is more information: https://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=61426.0
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)