So much oppistional defiant

Started by livedit, March 04, 2020, 09:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livedit

I have to deal with this almost daily in the family. Does anyone know of any articals concerning adult oppositional defiant that could help me deal? I can only find articals on children. Thank friends.

whitedeer

Quote from: livedit on March 04, 2020, 09:26:51 AM
I have to deal with this almost daily in the family. Does anyone know of any articals concerning adult oppositional defiant that could help me deal? I can only find articals on children. Thank friends.

Hi livedit - I am very, very new to this forum but am finally opening up myself to seeking support/information along the same lines as you. I don't know any articles off the top of my head, but in the next few days I will happily dig into the reading and share with you what I find here in this thread (if it helps you!)

My DH has ADHD. I am starting to realize that it's very likely he has a comorbid PD with it, still sussing out what it is - but he himself has mentioned ODD many times which maybe gives me the inkling that he was diagnosed with this when he was younger, but has never come forward about it with me honestly.

If the family member in question has ODD, have you considered ADHD as part too? (Though both of those don't always go hand in hand). Rejective Sensitive Dysphoria is common with ADHD. That is, when folks with ADHD experience criticism they often cannot control their emotions in response (part of the impulsivity of ADHD)....it's a knee jerk reaction and it can be hard for non's to untangle/deal with it....and DH almost always reacts this way when I "tell him what to do" (or even insinuate that I'm delegating to him if he's in a low mood. He rebels, rejects, deflects, projects, pulls all the stops, etc.)

Hope this helps even if it's not precisely what you seek. I'm on my own journey finding out how to navigate someone in my own family (FOC) having ODD symptoms and how to deal. But just know you're not alone in learning how to deal.  :stars: :hug:

(Edited to fix spelling error)

Poison Ivy

I agree about the possible links with ADHD and RSD.

whitedeer

Quote from: Poison Ivy on March 07, 2020, 07:21:48 PM
I agree about the possible links with ADHD and RSD.

Oh! Geez, I forgot to make the big connection: ODD is concomitant with ADHD in 25-75% of cases  According to iMedPub article.

Oh, also, and edited to add: seeing it from the neurodivergent perspective has given me enormous perspective and empathy (whilst maintaining my boundaries of course).

What you said reminded me, Poison Ivy. Thank you!

livedit

Thank you whitedeer for your response. Ive read up on these disorders. Sure makes alot of sense to me. We dont have any any diagnosis and probably never will. It does explain alot of strange behaviors over the years. H and mil have GOT to be in control. Lol. Lately its been " nobodys telling me ive got to stay home. Well. We'll see. Thank you.