"Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Started by womanonceabird, November 12, 2013, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

womanonceabird

by clarissa pinkola estes

oh my.  i'm only a few chapters into this jungian psychoanalyst's exploration of the feminine psyche as understood through tellings of the old stories and am absolutely smitten with it.  one of those "when can i get back to my book" numbers... :D

it looks a bit hippy dippy at first glance but SO isn't once you get stuck in - she writes of every womans inner "wild woman" - our intuitive, nurturing, creative true selves, and has so far described her and how she will always win the battle with "the predator" (both our own internal, psychological nay-saying and soul destroying aspects and the external, worldy manifestations - for me, the PD in my life but there are manifold possible interpretations) once she allows herself to acknowledge his presence and do battle with him, through an exploration of the tale of bluebeard.  and it's bloody brilliant!

definitely not accessible to all and every man out there, but there will be many who do enjoy it, i'm sure. 

definitely, DEFINITELY one for when you start to get that feeling that you just might be able to beat this thing after all and probably inspirational even right in the thick of the early stages too.

empowering, fascinating and beautifully written. 

aaa-woooooooooo!

(that's my wild woman wolf cry.  obviously  :tongue2: )

kayjewel

I love this book. It's been in my personal library for over 20 years now. Not only does it contain a wealth of information about the psyche (female and male, too), human development and creativity; but I sometimes use the book as a sort of "oracle". Opening the book and reading a random story always gives me insights. Thanks for the review.  :thumbup:

janedoeisbroken

I gave my very well read copy to my eldest daughter when she left for college :)

TalkingLeaves

This book is on my "grab in case of bushfire" list - it literally gave me a roadmap to accepting that I am OK as a person, even if I do have the kind of intuitive, creative, nature-focused spirit which is frowned apon by many. It helped me understand why the culture I live in often feels like wearing shoes which simply don't fit. It helped me heal, every time I fell into the patterns my childhood set me up for.

At one stage, I lived out bush in an old shack with only a wood fire, candles and water I had to carry up from a creek if it didn't rain for a week or so. I read it (again) from start to finish, one chapter a night, and reflected on each chapter sitting and staring into the fire - sometimes writing, sometimes not. that book has since become part of me in a very deep way, and I always give thanks for it. I still dip into it as I need to.

mulberry

Thank you for reccommending this, womanonceabird,
and for everyone's comments.

This sounds like the book I NEED to read!   :thumbup:

I'll get back to you, after...  :cool2:

m

Klarity Belle

it has been in my collection for many years now and is very well thumbed. A great book to head for to find comfort, healing and understanding of the self  :thumbup:

alive

Wow!  Hadnt heard of this book til now.  Sounds like something a userish INFJ scorned woman can get a lot out of so here I go off to find a copy!  Thanks womanonceabird!  :rundog:

mulberry

Just got mine yesterday.

A large part of my Sunday was spent reading...

:abduct:

mulberry

womanonceabird

enjoy, mulberry!

i hope you get as much out of it as i am :)

mulberry

womanonceabird,

I am nearing the end of this fantastic book.

I have never read anything like it.

It is an experience, truly.

I've always known the Wild Woman is part of me...   :bigwink:

I am looking into other books, by this author...

Thank you, womanonceabird.

P.S. The Maiden with the Silver Hands, as well as every story I've read,
is so personal, like it is being told directly to me.
This book has been a great companion, this winter...

mulberry

RaiseYourGlass

This book seems really interesting so I just ordered it  !! :excited:

amazed

Found a copy of the book in a second hand bookshop 5 months ago and started reading then. Today I've read the last chapter. It's a book that, I guess, will never be 'finished' reading. I absolutely loved it. I felt spoken to on a 'soul' level that sometimes made me cry and feel deep feelings. Feelings I have not felt for long long time. Sad ones, serene ones. Feelings of validation. All good ones.

Sometimes it felt as if the author (almost over-) explained every word, every symbol, every turn of events in a tale. But that did not stop me from reading. Slowly. Bit by bit.

I found that, here in Australia, most, if not all of the author's gathered-and-passed-on wisdom is also wisdom of the indigenous peoples of this continent. Very special.

Thank you womanonceabird for recommending this beautiful book!

Evlove

Thank you for this thread and recommendation. Will go and get it right away at my library :)
It was another book I got there yesterday that brought me to forum.

Books are my friends and always have been.  :D