Long-term and very-long term NC - general thread

Started by JenniferSmith, September 15, 2019, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BefuddledClarity

1. What are the personal benefits you have experienced by choosing long-term NC?
Have to reset my NC counter AGAIN, but when I was NC for about...maybe 2 years (not super long) it felt relieving. Now I see both parents at least once or twice a year, at least it's not frequent.

2. What is the hardest part of long-term NC, for you?
The hardest part is the "domino" effect. If I cut off contact with one person..It's possible I may have to cut contact with others to cut off PD supply. Currently contemplating about cutting off brothers..

3. Have you told the person(s) you are NC with why you went NC? If so, what came of that?
No, I told the people who are in contact with said people that I don't want to be in contact with PDs.

4. How have you been affected by a "smear campaign" as a result of your NC?
Not sure what my mother said, but my maternal family members have interrogated me asking "Why don't you visit your mother and give her money?" It used to be difficult to communicate with them due to culture/language barrier,  but now my second language is better now(learnt it young, but our school did not like us speaking the language, ended up taking college classes to get better). However, I don't feel the need to explain anything to them---they won't agree based on family being big in that particular culture and heavily religious.

5. How much does childhood abuse (physical/sexual/emotional) factor into your decision to go NC?
Well...I was tired of being hurt both emotionally and physically as well as scared(when I was younger). I knew no matter what I tried, I wouldn't be able to win my parents validation so I decided to worry about me and take care of myself(and now take care of my new family!)

6. Did you plan your NC in advance, or was it an impulsive decision, or some combination of the two?
Yes, ever since I was a young teen. I wanted to get out of the house. I moved out since 18 and haven't looked back since.

7. How do you think your life would be different, now, if you had NOT gone NC?
This...Is going to sound horrible but I used to wish I would never wake up again everyday when I was young. I felt trapped, sad, angry, and scared. So...I'll leave it at that.

8. What are the main reasons you have maintained NC for so many years?
To finally live MY life and not be somebody's little punching bag. It feels nice, it's relieving.