dealing with a Narc Brother over our parents estate

Started by Cinnamon, March 12, 2024, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinnamon

My Brother had total control over our parents and he lived with them. No transparency, lots of gaslighting, manipulation, lies etc..
Of course he made sure he was made executor with huge powers.
My latest problem with him is he is not being transparent about the estate. I know, big surprise, why should he start now but there is other siblings involved.
I feel he wants to fight with me and then that will justify his actions. The other sibling is ill and he cannot help.
I would like some guidelines, if there is any, how I can work with him in a productive manner. Our Father was a master hoarder, barns and garages full. It has been eight months of half hearted clean up. Every time I mention a easier why to do something, it is rejected. Every time I mention working in the house I am told 'not right now'
He has made around him a posse of people who believe his lies. I try to remain as calm as possible but he constantly contradicts himself and then tells me I misunderstood him or I got it wrong, gaslighting.
My fear is our sibling who is ill, that could use his inheritance for personal healthcare, will die before the narc Brother releases control. Needless to say he doesn't care about anybody other than superficially of those that are in his present posse. His posse members change often.
Rant over Thank you Cinnamon

Starboard Song

There are two categories of solution here: there is the interpersonal stuff between you and the executor, and to the extent you believe he has a personality disorder, that's exactly what we do best. I hope folks have good ideas for you there. It is really hard to force any person to do things they don't want to do: way more so if they have a PD.

The other approach is to address this from a legal standpoint: executors have legal obligations. We all have to stand clear of that: an anonymous, peer-to-peer support group is a terrible place to receive legal advice.

Welcome to Out of the FOG.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

NiksurvivedFSA

I have decided to let go of my inheritance altogether as my golden child brother is the executor and I've been 3.5 years no contact with my n mother. My nfather cut me out just to hurt me as a power move when I stood up to him. I'm the family scapegoat and money is energy. It hurts but I don't care anymore.
Love to all  :wave:

Starboard Song

Sometimes that's truly all we can do. We certainly knew we were walking away from a solid bequest when we went NC. Executors should live up to their obligations, but if we get written out of a will because someone is upset with us, sadly, that's a fair play.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward