Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Started by Amadahy, June 16, 2021, 04:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Hi, everyone  :hug:

Hope everyone is doing well and finding ways to heal and thrive.   I am struggling and have just learned of a procedure that is sometimes effective for c-ptsd.  It's TMS, or transcranial magnetic stimulation.  Has anyone here tried this?

I'm at a point where I am really, really feeling like my brain is compromised beyond what traditional talk therapy can help.  I had someone suggest this to me, but I had not heard of it.  I am resistant to pharmaceuticals for my symptoms (delusions, paranoia, anxiety, hypervigilance, emotional dysregulation, unfocused, and more) and I don't know if this will prohibit my seeking this therapy as I think it's a "last resort" after more traditional treatments have been tried.

Thanks for any information.  I will be talking to my primary medical provider about this, too.    I wish everyone the best.  xoxo

Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Free2Bme

Amadahy,

I have heard of TMS but have never been treated with it.  I understood it was used primarily for depression, particularly when the depression was Rx resistant and one must be deemed a candidate for this Tx. 

I would be interested to know how it works for c-ptsd, as it has a decent success rate for depression (from what I have heard).

Good luck  :)

1footouttadefog

I have no knowledge of TMS.

I will offer that you migh inquire with your regular Doc about blood work.  Sometimes an endocrine problem like having hormones off from thyroid etc can bring about such things. 

Additionally look over any supplements or herbal or recreational substances for possible cause, impact or contraindications.

Some people find help with homeopathy, herbalism, and such.

Andeza

Hi I'm one of those home herbalism people! :wave: 1foot has made an excellent point, on all those things honestly. I also have no knowledge of the treatment you are considering. All I know is that I favor a checklist of least invasive to more invasive things to try for whatever issues arises.

If you do choose this particular route, please let us know whether or not it's helpful for you, and of course, you have our support!
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Boat Babe

I don't know anything about the treatment you mention but have heard great things about EMDR. Specifically for trauma.

I hope you find a healing modality that works for you. ❤️
It gets better. It has to.

Amadahy

Thanks, so much for replies, everyone!   The treatment is not very invasive, but it is quite expensive at $175 treatment, with an average of 30 treatments.  I'm still researching, but it has been studied mainly for depression, although people are seeing good results with c-ptsd, now.  Just FYI, in certain conditions, insurance with cover.  Mine won't and I wouldn't go that route anyway for a few reasons, but just sharing information. 

I have had EMDR, which helped a great deal, but my therapist has moved town.  Her replacement was just awful, to put it mildly.  I also take supplements and herbals, after researching interactions and side effects.  I've begun a new one and need to give that some time, I'm sure.  (Today, I am feeling pretty good!) I do like homeopathy, but have not had consistent relief using this modality.  I had bloodwork done about a month ago and am "within range" on all indicators, although I am obese and have situational hypertension.  My biggest and newest difficulty is with obsessive worry and delusional thinking.  Even though my logical mind knows the thinking is delusional, my poor body and nervous system didn't get the memo and it's exhausting.  If I knew TMS would alleviate that I would give it a go, but as you see, it is a big investment of time and money.

I did see at-home devices that work similarly to TMS and those are tempting.  Good reviews on amazon and so forth.  They are called tDCS devices, for transcranial direct-current stimulation.  I might come out looking out like the bride of Frankenstein.  LOL.  If I could feel well, I would risk it. 

xoxo  Take care, everybody, and thanks.

~~ Leonard Cohen

Andeza

Amadahy, given your current situation, do you have any indication of what has caused this seemingly sudden onset of what you're describing? I had an extremely sudden onset of severe driving anxiety, turned out to be a result of covid recovery and has begun to clear up on its own about a year after the fact.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Amadahy

Good question, Andeza!  I vividly remember on Apr 2, 2020 being overcome w a sense of impending doom.  The feeling was so strong I felt my spirit shrivel.  Three things around that time -- covid, Nmom going into rehab and subsequent long term care, and I quit my job (a job I loved, but couldn't do due to its mentally and emotionally taxing nature).  Perhaps I need to realize my grief/loss and trust that time will help.

Oh, and I did do several rounds of eft (tapping) yesterday which I believe helped me a lot.  YouTube has videos.  ❤️

~~ Leonard Cohen

Andeza

I can only theorize, but grieving the loss of the job you loved combined with the other elements does seem to be a fair guess for a sudden shift in your well-being. These are each on their own capable of causing issues, but to deal with all three at once. Yeah... That's asking a bit much of anybody. I think you should trust your gut here, and I'm glad to hear you're trying something that is helping!

BrightMoon

Im highly skeptical of it but im biased. im highly skeptical of most 'cures' or quick fixes. I have more than the laymans undertsanding of psychology and know to be highly wary of anything not studied long term and peer reviewed. Then again, little seems to work anyway.

TMS is SO crazily new, and SO little studied, with no notions of possible long term damage or cosequences. It is known it is HIGHLY disruptive to neural functioning, that much is clear (its how it works, and is similar to electric shock treatment in that way). Every few years some new craze comes along and its touted as a breakthrough. Then a few years later its largely forgotten. Cognitive therapy. Cognitive behvaiour therapy. More recently the one where you hold the vibrating objects/repeat eye movements. Now its TMS.

None ever cure, and at best are of 'some' use. But TMS is a sledgehammer approach that seriously needs long term study before it should be allowed anywhere near people.

Oscen

Hi Amadahy,

Sorry you're having a tough time. I've never heard of TMS. I'd be wary for the reasons Bright Moon states - it's not yet well studied and documented - but also because I remember that several times in the last decade when I was at peaks (troughs?) of depression, I considered drastic treatments I wouldn't usually consider as they seemed to be my best chance for relief in the moment - and when I say moment, I'm talking about several months at a time of dark despair. I got hooked on the idea that brainwave training would be my best bet, but it was crazy expensive, so I didn't do it. It was also during one of these troughs that I purchased colloidal silver, which fortunately I never used. I think some of these treatments give us hope when we're down, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're right for us, or that they'll be as effective as they claim.

Glad to hear EFT is helpful, and if you've found EMDR positive, is it worth doing the self-administered EMDR videos off youtube, to tide you over until you're feeling better or you've nailed down what's going on? I like EFT and find the self-administered EMDR quite complementary to the process. Please forgive me if that suggestion is overstepping the bounds - I appreciate that you are the expert on you and your situation. Take care and thank you for the information about TMS

1footouttadefog

EMDR can be self administrative nisteted if you have the method down.

1footouttadefog

That should have read self administered.

Amadahy

Thanks for letting me know that EMDR can be self-administered, Oscen and 1foot.  I have had progress in therapy with EMDR, so this is appealing to me.

~~ Leonard Cohen