Discussing Mental Health

Started by athene1399, April 29, 2019, 06:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athene1399

Arkhangelsk

Really good advice, Rose.

It is good to have a script for tough situations. 

On top of everyone's great advice about using real life examples, I will add that when we watch TV, movies, or read books, we liberally pause to talk.  I might pause the TV and say, "Wow, it looks like teenage character X feels really uncomfortable right now - his coach wants him to not talk about something he saw happen.  What do you guys think is happening?"  We all observe what we are seeing.  Then I say, "What do you think they should do?"  We listen and layer in suggestions for courses of action that enforce proper boundaries.  The we label it, "It can be really hard when an adult asks a kid to do something the kid does not feel certain about.  But kids can speak up and explain their position.  We will always have conversations like that with you.  Plus, you can ask us for help if you feel stuck because of someone else."

I want my kids to have some scripts about boundaries and I want them to know they can talk about anything.

Hugs to you, Athene.  This is such stressful stuff.  I know you wish you could shield your SD from it and it is so hard knowing you cannot.

athene1399

That is a great idea, Arkhangelsk. Thank you for sharing. I will have to work this in. :)