I’m going to wear a beautiful dress!

Started by Call Me Cordelia, January 17, 2019, 05:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call Me Cordelia

I hope this is a fun topic. :)

Our 10th wedding anniversary is coming up. I have been a bit terrified of it, because historically special occasions have been rather disappointing.

What I would really like to do is get all dressed up in a formal gown. Don't care so much where we go. We were talking a trip away but that doesn't work with our schedule right around our actual day, so we'll probably just go to dinner the day of and have the trip in the summer. I'm feeling partly stupid for spending money unnecessarily, but our 10th anniversary is at least as important as a prom, right? And I've never actually chosen a fancy gown 100% for myself and my husband. Always I considered other people's taste and alleged budget (cheap), and my own feeling of not deserving anything nice.

So we can afford this, DH is on board, I'm putting it here so I can't chicken out or just fail to make the time to go shopping!

Sophie48

Congratulations on 10 years! That's AWESOME! Your plans sound very special, and a great way to celebrate  :) I'm so happy for you!  :) :) :)

PS—no chickening out  ;)

Summer Sun

Call Me Cordelia, this is your Inner Mom wanting to have a word.  Yes, there have been many disappointments with special occasions.  It is time though to create your own joy, just for you two.   

You do deserve and so will buy a beautiful dress, a formal gown, really sleek, elegant, or, something perhaps something graceful, long, flowing, accentuating your very best parts in your favourite colour of course!  You will take his breath away, just like you did 10 years ago on your wedding day.  Perhaps a pedi and your hair done too?  Some scent too, sweet, suggestive, keep him guessing what's under the dress, which, sweetie, believe me, you deserve to buy too.  Lace?  Or silk?  White? Black? Periwinkle? So many choices with this open wallet initiative which will create a memorable evening of this milestone, this accomplishment, this celebration of love. 

congratulations and hugs.
"The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Indifference" - Elie Wiesel

artfox

Happy upcoming anniversary! I definitely think you should treat yourself to a beautiful dress and enjoy every minute of wearing it.

practical

Congrats on 10 years!

You go for it! Treat yourself like the special woman you are. Maybe make picking the gown a fun event, where you take yourself out to a nice lunch in the city or wherever you are going shopping? I would keep that gown somewhere visible in my closet afterwards to remind myself in not-so-great moments, that you are special  :)
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Call Me Cordelia

I GOT THE DRESS!!!  It's so pretty! Lilac colored lace all over, off the shoulder neckline, and a little swishy train at the back! And it fits perfectly. (It's ok, DH doesn't read the forum.)

Sophie, thanks for sharing the joy.  :hug:

Summer Sun, your comment made me want to cry. This is indeed a "correction" as my T says. My wedding gown was a disappointment, because I was made to feel I was *inconveniencing* everyone with my wedding and so I got almost the first dress I tried on for super cheap, while M went to several higher-end stores and across town multiple times for alterations. And I didn't even get a manicure, although my whole wedding party and M and MIL did! And don't even get me started on the lingerie awkwardness... Yes, this time is MUCH better! I think I will go for a mani/pedi!

Artfox, I will, thank you!  ;D

Practical, I did take myself to lunch! I love the idea of keeping the gown visible, that's a beautiful thought. I plan to have someone take our picture, too!

Whiteheron

Wonderful! This post made me smile. I hope you enjoy your special day. Go all out - you deserve it!
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.