Being an introvert is hard

Started by Iamenoughmary, October 28, 2022, 06:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Yes, I always look forward to the end of summer and am glad to say goodbye to all the noise in our neighbourhood.

Iamenoughmary

Some of those winter mornings when we've had snow and there's no traffic and total stillness, is just so peaceful :)
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul".

John Muir

Blueberry Pancakes

Hello Neverenoughmary and welcome. I am just chiming in as one more introvert. You actually are enough, and you always were. You are gloriously and fabulously an introvert as many people are. 

What I think is the way introverts and extroverts feel energized through the day can be quite different. I believe introverts tend to create their own energy through their own resources, while extroverts get it from others around them. That might be one explanation why extraverts are always looking for company, and introverts tend to need more time alone to recharge. Nothing is wrong with anyone, just different "settings".

Growing up with narcissistic parents who are extroverts and do not understand the boundaries of an introvert child can be a real challenge. My parents always told me there was "something wrong with me" when I withdrew from loud get-togethers. They would point out other children who I should instead act more like. When I failed to perform socially, they sometimes would not speak to me for a few days. The "less than" message can seep into your psyche over time, but it is not the truth of who you are.

SonofThunder

Quote from: Blueberry Pancakes on January 09, 2023, 12:50:49 PM
Hello Neverenoughmary and welcome. I am just chiming in as one more introvert. You actually are enough, and you always were. You are gloriously and fabulously an introvert as many people are. 

What I think is the way introverts and extroverts feel energized through the day can be quite different. I believe introverts tend to create their own energy through their own resources, while extroverts get it from others around them. That might be one explanation why extraverts are always looking for company, and introverts tend to need more time alone to recharge. Nothing is wrong with anyone, just different "settings".

Growing up with narcissistic parents who are extroverts and do not understand the boundaries of an introvert child can be a real challenge. My parents always told me there was "something wrong with me" when I withdrew from loud get-togethers. They would point out other children who I should instead act more like. When I failed to perform socially, they sometimes would not speak to me for a few days. The "less than" message can seep into your psyche over time, but it is not the truth of who you are.
:yeahthat: +1 
Agree fully Blueberry Pancakes!  (I just adore that screen name!) Lol, I put blueberry syrup on blueberry pancakes... #fanofblueberries

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Iamenoughmary

Thank you Blueberry Pancakes!  :bighug: You are very kind. I have started to believe that I am enough. Still a work in progress.   I was just about to start a new topic on how my introvert self has to explain to people why I'm not out and about like they are. Every event I have to attend, they say "we don't see you out"  or "where have you been"  ugggg.... I'm so tired of it! I used to say I don't go out much, now I say I'm an  Introvert!  I could turn it around and ask "why are you at every function everywhere"  I don't because I respect them. It does anger me. I need respect to...........

I am so sorry your parents said those things to you.   :(  Those messages certainly do seep into our psyche over time. As a child I withdrew to my room often.  I relate to everything you said about your parents and childhood. We weren't allowed to be who we are.  Grateful to be on the forum with you and so many who understand. I'm blessed 

I just attended several Christmas functions. LOUD :aaauuugh:  It was my husbands family. They are so hyper and loud. I had to step outside for air..lol! I dread those things and now I am feeling overload. It takes a week or more to destress.  Recharging like you said! 

Thank you so much!
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul".

John Muir

Blueberry Pancakes

Quote from: SonofThunder on January 09, 2023, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: Blueberry Pancakes on January 09, 2023, 12:50:49 PM

:yeahthat: +1 
Agree fully Blueberry Pancakes!  (I just adore that screen name!) Lol, I put blueberry syrup on blueberry pancakes... #fanofblueberries

SoT
Thank you, SoT. BB syrup on BB pancakes sounds quite delightful. Tried to grow blueberries in my yard, but the rabbits ate them all.

treesgrowslowly

Thank again neverenoughmary for starting this discussion thread about introversion.

I returned to it today to read the newer posts. Being an introvert is hard for so many reasons!

- being an introvert means learning how to manage the energy that extroverts bring to the party.

- being an introvert can mean longing for the company of other introverts, and not knowing where to find them (at least here at the forum we seem to be in good company!)  :wave:

- being an introvert means dealing with the 'beliefs' that extroverts have about us "just join in" "just enjoy yourself" "just ignore it" (when the noise and over-stimulation has overwhelmed our senses).

- being an introvert means scheduling down time just to rest after socializing. Extroverts don't do this do they?

Ok...now for some attempts at some positives....!

- Being an introvert can mean we really get into things like music, theatre or art that moves us emotionally.

- Being an introvert means that when we are feeling strong, well-rested and focused, we actually get a lot out of solo / individual experiences. i.e. spending the afternoon cooking or painting or walking alone or reading etc... brings us great pleasure.

- Being an introvert means that in our healthy states, we can appreciate our social time, knowing that for us, it is not something we do "all the time".

I am going to post an article about introversion in the media section so we can continue this list together!

Trees

Iamenoughmary

Thank you treesgrowslowly!  I love all those things!  I love art and music. They calm me.  The holidays were hard. We've had a lot in January too.  I feel very burned out.  We do long for the company of other introverts. They understand.  I so appreciate your sharing here and look forward to your article!  Thanks so much!  :bighug:

John Muir