Dreams

Started by 11JB68, February 21, 2020, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Does anyone here put much stock in dreams/interpretation of them etc?
I don't normally remember my dreams. When I do I think usually they're bad ones.
I had a dream recently though (in the past week maybe? Wish I had written it down) where ds and I were in a boat, I think like a canoe, rowing on a lake or river...I think a river as it felt like we were going somewhere, moving forward steadily but happily. It was so nice.
I have various interpretations of this.
1i mentioned in another post that I started a vision book, I wonder if that just got me thinking more positively about a life without Updh.
2 it could just be a happy memory, ds and I used to canoe and kayak together sometimes.
3 ....?

NumbLotus

Imho, dreams do reflect what we are processing in our minds. I think science is confirming that it is part of a process of moving memories, and maybe thoughts/ideas, from the holding container of short term memory into long term memory. It's probably more complex than that, but it does seem to involve the transfer of experience from one part of the brain to another.

I agree that it seems your mind is looking at moving forward in some way, with DS. It sounds like a good dream.
Just a castaway, an island lost at sea
Another lonely day, noone here but me
More loneliness than any man could bear

Andeza

I tend to take the less scientific approach. On the surface, it sounds as though you miss spending quality time with your son alone. Maybe it's time for another canoe trip?

More deeply though... I would venture to say your subconscious mind is longing for peace in some form.

Sometimes I believe our dreams help us find peace over something we are struggling with deep beneath the surface. A decision we don't want to make, or regret over a decision we've made in the past. It can take a variety of forms. Sometimes, though, it's very straightforward. I've dreamed that my grandfather met my son, even though my grandfather died before my son was born. I've dreamed that, even after going NC with my uBPDm, she still tried to act as though nothing were wrong when I encountered her again. Those dreams were therapeutic in a way. A feeling of peace that my grandfather knew about my son, was proud of him and me. I was deeply saddened that they never met in life, didn't help that I found out I was pregnant only two months after the funeral. The other helped ground me in the knowledge that my disordered mother will continue to choose her false narrative over seeking help and healing in order to heal our relationship.

You know, I miss canoeing too. There really is something special about following the current, enjoying the journey.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

mdana

I used to belong to a Jungian dream analysis group...

I have found deep meaning in my own dreams (some of which I ignored and have learned to value).

Without knowing much about your situation life -- your dream sounds like there are 2 of you on a journey (on a boat/canoe) headed somewhere -(on a river or lake --- water is symbolic of emotions---and you described it as peaceful --- gentle/peaceful waters---positive experience and emotions). It sounds like the 2 of you are in agreement (since you are both rowing together).  Your journey is taking you somewhere, but the implication at the same time, is that you are leaving something (or somewhere). Either way -- there is reconciliation of the past (what you are leaving) and an acceptance of the future (where you are headed). 

That's how I may interpret your dream (without knowing the context in your life).  You have to put it into your own context... though.

M
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. The Dalai Lama

11JB68