Non-violent communication course - online - starts in June 2019

Started by JenniferSmith, April 07, 2019, 06:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JenniferSmith

I wanted to share this resource as it is something I have found very helpful.

I have been doing the course for two years.  I can honestly say it has changed the way I think about communication. Due to my upbringing, I tend to be avoidant of conflict, and not good at speaking up for myself. This approach is giving me tools to improve in those areas and has also been helping me think differently about other people's behavior.

You may have heard of "non-violent communication" ... it is a collection of teachings that help us learn how to express ourselves to others in ways that enhance relationships rather than break them down. 

While we may not be able to bridge gaps with everyone in our lives, this approach helps us learn what we are feeling, what we need, and how to share that with others in ways that make them more receptive and open to what we have to say.

Each year, the New York Center for Non-Violent Communication offers an on-line Compassion Course.

If you enroll in the class, each week you will get a lesson in your email, homework to practice, access to an on-line forum to discuss the lessons, and then monthly video/audio meetings you can also participate in. The course last a year, so you will have 52 lessons at the end of it. You can participate at your own pace. There are no tests or requirements.

There is a sliding fee scale for the course, so its available to everyone regardless of financial resources.

All the information you need is here: https://www.compassioncourse.org/

bloomie

The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

JenniferSmith

You're welcome! 

If anyone here is interested in doing the course, please feel free to post here... I would enjoy discussing the lessons with others. Perhaps we could use this thread to do that if anyone is interested.