Celebrating our right to thrive... starting now

Started by Starboard Song, February 29, 2024, 08:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starboard Song

This week's topic is all about Radical Acceptance of the world we are in, with all its baroque -- and some times broken -- details.

Radical Acceptance is only one book of many great ones in our recommended reading section for Personal Healing, and it isn't alone in describing the philosophy of radical acceptance.

My wife described her own healing as swing between a frustrated desire to fix, and an angry dissatisfaction with reality. When we lose a loving parent to a heart attack as a young adult, the grief goes on a good while. But we don't constantly try to resurrect the dead, nor do we commonly fight on in constant anger over the unfairness of coronary disease. We accept the loss, and then go through the natural progression of grief.

But when a parent -- or spouse, or sibling, or colleague, or lover -- has a PD, it somehow seems like not a final judgment. We want to change it, fix it, or rail against it.

My wife found the concept of Radical Acceptance to be absolutely transformative. Freed from the need to fix, and freed from daily disappointment, she has been able to move on.

I hope we all do, in our many different ways. Radical acceptance needn't be paired with NC, as it was for us. I hope everyone can share their own journey of acceptance and coping this week.

Please jump in.

While you are here,
May is a great month to support causes that contribute to mental health issues.
Among those, we hope you'll choose to Support Out of the FOG.

Thank you for contributing to the conversation:
your words and knowledge and peer-to-peer kindnesses are the most important contribution you can make.

Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward