Another one, things with no use

Started by Jsinjin, June 20, 2021, 09:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsinjin

Oh here are two things we have kept for my stbxUOCPDwthat I think the indulgence is just strange.

1) we have an entire drawer full of Disney and assorted other movie video cassettes. Like VCR tapes.   We do not have a player.  None.  We don't have any way to access the media on these things and we pay monthly subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney.  No one in our home would buy a VCR, figure out how to connect this ancient piece of tech to a tv and then watch these tapes of lion king, little mermaid and Aladdin. 

Then we have a phone line.  That's fine.  We have a phone line.   We pay for the number.  We don't have a phone.   All fiber family members have cell phones.  We literally can't use the phone line.   No calls come in or out on it.   My only solace is that I hope telemarketers call it all day on the chance that we might answer it.   But we don't have a phone.   We can't stop paying for it because "what if we need it".   I suppose I'm just glad I don't own a submarine we might need or a snowplow I might use (I live in a place where it is 105 degrees f in the summer and 75 f in the winter which is the joke in that case).

As a parent, I apologize to all children that someday you will have e to throw away things your parents lovingly held on to that you can't even recognize especially all our old computers (we are concerned about our data which is mostly digital pictures of you even thought they're all out of focus and backed up in the cloud anyway) and furniture we bought at Ikea that we hope will become heirlooms even though it's made of compressed oatmeal.

It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

Lauren17

Compressed oatmeal!  I laughed out loud. Thank you for that.
My PD is undiagnosed, but I strongly suspect covert NPD.  He does get attached to things with no use.  He will often keep things because "someone might be able to use it"  But he won't donate said thing, so I'm not quite sure how that is supposed to work out.
We have a phone line too.  The "what if we need it" rationale is the same. 
I'm not sure if this is a PD thing, or if it is human resistance to change.  Either way, it's frustrating.  I don't know about you, but I've found that I have less patience for personality quirks given that I'm dealing with all the rest.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)

1footouttadefog

My spouse and I are both simultaneously keepers of junk and neatniks.

I can easily get rid of things when I can find a new owner.  We have swap sheds where I live and almost everything place in it finds a new owner in less than an hour.

My spouse holds into paper work akd old bills and tax papers and checks from decades ago.  I bought him a shreader but no luck on his stash.  He gets joy from shredding junk mail however.

Jsinjin

I feel that quirky is wearing a funny hat and not caring, going to a star Wars premiere dressed as a character or hanging up stockings for your pets.   That's quirky that you love and deal with and don't even notice that it's embarrassing because he/she is your quirky person.   PD is holding onto advertisements from store that no longer exist just in case it is important but that the piles could eventually fall over and crush you under the weight.
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli