Mantra suggestions

Started by Juniperberry, December 27, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juniperberry

I would like to think less about my toxic parents.  I spend far too much time talking to them in my head and just having them in my mind.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a short mantra I can say to myself to help me refocus whenever I find myself thinking about them?

I've seen few online that I like:
"Close the book."
"I deserve peace." 
But I'd appreciate other suggestions. 

Oh, and Happy Holidays to everyone.  I know all too well how tough this time of year can be... 

BettyGray

Hmmm...

Trying to think of something that isn't too cliche...

"Hold fast. Do not waiver " was a phrase I told myself at the beginning of NC.

In the some vein, I always loved the Tom Petty song "i won't back down" Sometimes just listening to the song and singing along made me feel very balanced and sure of myself. "You can send me up at the gates of hell, but I won't back down."

"Ever stalwart."
Another movie line that spoke to me, from the remake of True Grit.

Great topic! Interested to see what others add.

"Beware of Darkness"
Also a song, written by George Harrison from the album "All Things Must Pass." Actually that whole album is a good one for grieving losses and celebrating and uplifting  life.
Very often, in my sadness, "beware of darkness" reminded me that my brain could lead me down a very shadowy path and that it was up to me to control whether or not i led myself there.

Danden

I like very much the Tom Petty song  I think it is "Refugee"  The lyrics are  "Sometime somewhere somebody must have kicked you around some.  Maybe you were kidnapped tied up and  held for ransom.  It don't really matter to me, everybody has to fight to be free.  You don't have to live like a refugee"  So much truth there.

EnglishLady

The phrases I say to myself more than any is :-

The don't deserve me.
It's their loss.
I'm a good person.
I was just born to the wrong people at the wrong time

Hope that helps  ;)

Starboard Song

Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Seeking Tao

My favorite is from an unknown author:
"Trust the Universe that you are exactly where you need to be."

SunnyMeadow

dreamtree

I like "I deserve peace"!

one of mine is "Its not my job ." meaning not my job to try to fix, not my job to make them feel better, not my job to process their behaviors.

walkingwithhansel

For every scapegoat, golden and lost child, I have one.  It's a reminder that we don't have to conform to the PD's idea of what they think we should be. 

It's from the movie Logan.  I have it written on a dry ink board stuck to our refrigerator.

"Don't be what they made you."

Hugs to everybody! 

Juniperberry

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. 

The one I've been coming back to lately is "Let it be," which has the advantage of coming with a lovely melody built right in. 

Marisa

I know and trust my own mind.
I am a good person and I am worthy of love and respect.
The past is finished. Learn from it and let it go.
Stop getting distracted by things that have nothing to do with your goals.
Let go of whatever is hurting your heart and soul.

Juniperberry

Great article, Marisa.  Thanks for posting.

Another one I am trying out is "Honor the pain." 

Frankie14

I'm not sure it's a mantra;

"I only care what I think."

About any given subject. Not what my PD FOO thinks about me, my kids, my house, their opinion on anything means nothing to me.  Their programming didn't work.  I only care what I think.  :wave:

Weavingthru

A second for "drop the rope." It's such a good visual for me when thinking of my uNM.

DaisyGirl77

Mine is, "You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm." - Unknown.
I lived with my dad's uPD mom for 3.5 years.  This is my story:  http://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=59780.0  (TW for abuse descriptions.)

"You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm." - Anonymous

NC with uNM since December 2016.  VLC with uPDF.

dadsdump

I always think that I jumped off the merry go round or the crazy train(insert Ozzy voice)... so much happier! To stop my mind from lingering- watching the Hands Maid tale worked! lol Hugs & great post! :bighug

Leonor

Peter Gabriel's Solisbury Hill.

It's my healing theme song.

Gentleness to all.

Kiki81

peacetrain

Quote from: Leonor on January 02, 2019, 05:14:25 PM
Peter Gabriel's Solisbury Hill

I have always loved that song! It was my mantra!