Help for a friend - online/face-to-face meetings for parents

Started by cheriej1972, September 24, 2023, 10:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheriej1972

Hello everyone
I have a beautiful friend whose daughter (18) has BPD.
My friend, the mother of said daughter is not coping - she feels very alone and yes, she is getting counselling.
I would love to get her into a support group where she can talk with other mothers, fathers going through what she is going through.
Her daughter is acute, meaning she is currently back in hospital and has removed her mother as her next of kin.
My friend desperately needs to know that she is not alone and that what she is going through is similar and she can connect with likeminded parents.
Is there any Zoom meetings/sessions she can connect with OR any support groups she can go to?
Thank you so much!!!
PS. I love this forum and really helps me in supporting her, but she needs to connect to people through online or face-to-face.
I have pointed her in this direction, but she didnt connect . . .
THANK YOU again!
Cherie xx

notrightinthehead

Welcome! It sounds like your friend is lucky to have you, you sound like a caring and supportive person. You want to support your friend by pointing her in the right direction. Ultimately she must decide to get help for herself and actively go for it. Allow her to search for support herself. You can mention 12 step programs or how to do a search on the internet. What she does with this is up to her. Be careful though, one can easily come across as patronizing, someone who has all the answers, and that would not be helpful.

You didn't cause your friends problem. You cannot cure her or her daughter. You also cannot control what your friend or her daughter does. But you can role model healthy, adult behavior - listen without judging, validate her feelings, and express confidence that she will be able to solve hr own problems.

Good luck to you!
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

cheriej1972

Hi there
She is well aware of what I am doing and how to find a support group to help her. We have discussed this, and she is grateful.

I find your feedback a little patronising, but I appreciate it all the same.

bloomie

Hi and welcome. What a painful position your friend is in with her daughter. We have vetted suggestions for sites specific personality disorders that your friend may find helpful at this link: https://outofthefog.website/links

Also, you could suggest she join the community here herself and share with others going through similar things. Not face to face, but it could be another spoke in the wheel of her support system and of good help to her.

We also have good book recommends and other online suggested resources that can bolster and encourage your friend.

Wishing her healing and peace.
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.