How do you deal with nightmares?

Started by KeepingMyBlue, March 09, 2021, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeepingMyBlue

So I was watching a show that had a Very Special Episode that stirred up some stuff. I had a bad nightmare that night. Woke up in an EF. Awake, I can list off 10 reasons that the nightmare scene will never happen, but tell my sleeping mind that!

Bonus: my sweet neighbor has noticed two cars that regularly come to our street and park, for hours, and none of us knows the cars or people. He has alerted local law enforcement, but there isn't much they can do yet. So just as I'm shaking off the nighmare fear, here's a new one! My waking mind knows too many officers to think that any good police officer would have my back in a confrontation, but my sleeping mind...

Please, any tips welcome. I just need to sleep!

Cat of the Canals

I always feel a little betrayed after a nightmare. Like there's this sadistic part of my brain that gets a kick out of scaring the crap out of me. So rude.

Anyway, this will probably sound kind of silly, but it really has worked for me. I went through a bout of insomnia paired with nightmares a few years ago. (Actually, I think it was when I was first coming Out of the FOG, which dredged up a lot of unpleasantness.) The first thing I do after I turn out the lights is I lay very still and take a few long, deep breaths, and I think very clearly to myself: "I'm going to fall asleep quickly. I'm going to sleep deeply. I'm going to have pleasant dreams."

At first I would repeat it several times, each sentence paired with a deep breath. Now I usually only have to do one cycle, and it's more out of habit than anything. My sleep has improved drastically since I started doing it.

KeepingMyBlue

I will try and let you know. Thanks so much! :bighugs:

KeepingMyBlue

This is helping. I'm also reading a very peaceful book right before bed. (Restaurant to Another World, a sweet light novel, very low drama)

Thanks so much, Cat!

Cat of the Canals

So glad it helped!

Something else that has been really useful is this breathing technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNejY1e9ik

We lost my brother-in-law at the end of January and both my husband and I were having trouble with anxiety, which was making sleep difficult. We started doing the breathing technique about 30 minutes before bed and it solved that immediately. But it helps to do it if you have any anxiety throughout the day, too.