Hi I'm Rocky

Started by Rocky, March 05, 2024, 06:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

Hello I'm "Rocky"

I'm 40+ male. I have been working with a therapist for more than a year. I have been no contact with my family of origin since the summer.

I believe I'm the result of a narcissistic mom and an enabling dad. The relationship with my dad was the hardest to break.

SonofThunder

A warm welcome to Out of the FOG Rocky!  You are not alone, as all here walk these trails together.  As you settle in, I want to suggest you spend some time at the Personality Disorders tab up top, looking over the top 100 traits, and aligning them with your experiences.

Just to the right of that tab is the wonderful Toolbox tab. I suggest you go ahead and stake your tent down there and study.  Venturing out onto the trails of the forum board topics as you explore, keep coming back to your tent at the Toolbox and practice applying the tools of our trade to what you are absorbing in the interaction with the other travelers here.

I had to go NC with my narcissist father for about 6 months in order to get through a difficult period.  NC is a boundary we do for self protection and your mother will more than likely believe your NC is some sort of punishment of her as she focuses on 'self'.  I liken boundaries to road construction barricades which are erected for protection of the workers during a time (and sometimes permanent), but drivers feel punished in the detour, and that is 100% on them. 

Again, welcome to Out of the FOG and see you around the boards!

PS: If you get a chance, check out the videos by the great Dr. Ramani on YouTube. She's an expert on narcissism and I enjoy her teaching. 

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Rocky

It was actually nice not to get Christmas presents from my family this year. The presents were never that personal, and just reminded me how emotionally distant they are. A sincere silence is so much better than feigned interest in my life.