Music as therapy

Started by Stillnothealed, February 04, 2023, 02:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillnothealed

Please let me know if this thread doesn't fit in this section...

I wanted to share some music that helped me put what I went through and felt into words. I think relating to and listening to others with similar thoughts and feelings is extremely validating and healing. When my mind will not quiet, I listen to or sing along with a song that resonates with me.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has some music that helps them process their feelings!

For me, Taylor Swift's 'tolerate it' was a spot on representation of my relationship with my last nex.

I especially loved the lyrics:

'You assume I'm fine
but what would you do if I
Break free and leave us in ruins
Took this dagger in me and removed it
gain the weight of you and then lose it
Believe me, I could do it'

It is powerful.

What about you? Anyone have favorite songs or lyrics that help them process their feelings?

NarcKiddo

I take people to the Mardi Gras.

By which I am referring to Paul Simon's song "Take me to the Mardi Gras".

I've always liked the song but the lines "Take your burdens to the Mardi Gras, Let the music wash your soul" have resonated with me recently. And I've constructed a sort of meditation for myself where I take someone (who is/has been a burden or problem) to the Mardi Gras. I imagine going there and consider whether they are reluctant to come or come willingly. Whether they like the music or don't. And most particularly what happens there: whether I end up losing them in the crowd, whether we agree to part company or whether we come out together with a new understanding. I usually (but not always) listen to the song while I am doing this and it has been oddly helpful. My therapist thought it was a good idea when I told her about it. She does not (yet) know that I took her to the Mardi Gras once in our early days when she unknowingly did something that triggered me. In that case she and I came out together, which I knew we would but it helped me process my anger at her. I've let go of past relationships that way, too.
Don't let the narcs get you down!