Work AGAIN! Rumor mill

Started by Justme729, January 05, 2022, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justme729

I am on a team from hell.  People tend to not last on this team, unless they can do exactly what the team lead wants and does exactly what she does.  Like a clone.  She has an inability to deal with change and/or differing work styles.  Most people quit due to her OR they move to another grade level.  Our team will be growing next year so I'm willing to stick it out because - she can't possibly find 4 more people that will all adhere to her "style".  This is a woman who flipped out that I used a plastic folder or zipper pouch instead of a paper folder or no folder.  Who claimed that gives an unfair advantage to students.    :stars: :stars:

Anyways...... my assistant is addicted to drama.  She can't wait to tell me what they say.   Nothing surprises me.  She said she tells me because it gives her direction on how to address them when they do continue to say these comments. 

One is -- I am exaggerating my restrictions post surgery.  I had surgery over break.  One insists I wont have lifting restrictions and recovery will only take a week.  I will be fine to unpack my own moving boxes at our new location & the assistant can help them instead of me.  They need more help since I refuse to be part of the team.   :stars: :roll:
My doctor said I can lift up to 10 pounds.   It takes a full 6 weeks minimum for the internal stitches and scar to heal.  Week 3, I can finally sit up straight without pain and drive locally with confidence.  I am still taking some pain medicine.  I did two days of appts plus my part time job - I am feeling it. So I'm glad her relative only took a week to heal, I am following my doctor's advice.  Which I already addressed with HR - so I'm not worried about that aspect. 

The Second is - they try to include me, but I don't want to be included.  That I am hostile to them.   That I am causing a riff on the team. 

I don't know what to do about this.  To be included I need to arrive at 6am and stay until 6pm.   My contract specifically states the hours that I am to work.  A 12 hour day isn't included.  I have a part time job and I also have children to tend too.  It is a big problem in the field that teachers work well beyond contracted hours.  I've done it.  It has hurt my family.  I choose not to do it anymore.  That is my boundary.  I've stated that with advance notice, I can stay until 5pm if there is an unusual topic we need to meet about.  If there are staff meetings or that sort of thing - I make them work (again advance notice is given).  If I worked 6am to 6pm, I would be relying solely on my spouse and I would never see my children.  I didn't have children to never see them or be involved in their lives.  I have been told to rely on a friend, relative, they named a specific friend (who was actually insulted), pay a nanny, a neighbor, and more.  Boundary violation much?  She said she's just a "problem solver" - no it isn't.  I've been in the dog house all year because I wont let them violate my boundaries.   This is the story being told to admin, that I am the problem.  This is the story going through the rumor mill - is I am the problem because I wont accept their suggestions.  Because I don't do things their way that is "proven."   I have a philosophy of work smarter, not harder.   I am not going to make 20+ paper folders every 3 weeks.  I'm just not.  My assistant and I did a few projects for the kids prior to winter break and it "out did" their projects.  So they are livid.  It wasn't intentional.  It just is what it is, when I asked they said "each class is doing their own thing.  So whatever you want to do."  So - done and done!  However, they were all working together.  So 3/4 classes all had the same project and my project out shined theirs.  Ooops?

Hazy111

It is a big problem in the field that teachers work well beyond contracted hours.  I've done it.  It has hurt my family.  I choose not to do it anymore.  That is my boundary.  :like:

and leave when you get the opportunity. 

This is the latest post in "my work colleagues/boss/company culture are too disordered for me, its making me ill"

Justme729

Quote from: Hazy111 on January 05, 2022, 12:40:10 PM
It is a big problem in the field that teachers work well beyond contracted hours.  I've done it.  It has hurt my family.  I choose not to do it anymore.  That is my boundary.  :like:

and leave when you get the opportunity. 

This is the latest post in "my work colleagues/boss/company culture are too disordered for me, its making me ill"

Ironically, the rest of the company/school is is great.  Admin actually expects you to arrive and leave at contracted times.   They do expect you to attend some meetings afterschool.   But it is limited.   It's just this team's culture.  I keep debating if I want to change to another grade for a less toxic team or stay with the grade I like & hope adding 3-4 new teachers will change the vibe.

Justme729

IDK how to edit the post - but again rumor mill....

Apparently they've had several meet ups.   My assistant ran into the group when she went out to eat.  They were planning and stuff - work/fun lunch.  She said "where is .....?"  They replied I didn't want to be included.  Dude - I would have gladly met them had they told me.  Just to get some face time in outside of school.  But this is the typical - they have these "meetings" or lunch/dinner outings.  Exclude me.  Don't update me, even when I reach out.  Then, I look like an idiot.  :sigh: