Birthday flashback

Started by FlowerPot, November 30, 2019, 04:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerPot

'eck it is my birthday, card from DD, nowt from DS but no doubt that will appear later  or a instant message or summat :doh: , he knows I won't be bothered  ;)

Took me back suddenly 40 years, I was a student, had gone with cousin to see uncle abroad for a few days, mother had her birthday while I was away and when i got back proceeded to have the most almighty rant and sulk - really hurt.

The reasons?
a) I was with her brother not her
b) my card only arrived on her birthday by SECOND post 

I mentioned this once to friends and they just didn't understand either her behaviour or my reaction to, it is only now understanding more about mothers like her and reading the forum that makes things clearer.

Recovered from early morning wobble now and off to an antiques fair !

argh

My mother once absolutely raged at me about how I didn't give her her mother's day present on the actual day. The reason being that I'd ordered a special cake plate that I thought she wanted (a very big deal for me to do at 13!!!) and it was not delivered to the shop yet. Obviously I told her on the day that her present was ordered.

Obviously as she raged she had no sense of the irony that the present was meant to celebrate what a nice mother she was to me...

It's just beyond foul isn't it. I still feel sick thinking about it now. And a very large part of me still thinks she's right - she's a wonderful mother and that was an awful thing for a daughter to do.

Just ugh.