Therapist doesn't believe that spouses should come first

Started by Consumed, April 08, 2019, 02:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlightgirl

Keeping in mind that the book "Boundaries" by Townsend is technically written with acChristian tone;

Though Dh & I are not particularly religious, we have found Christian marital therapists to be the most supportive of married couples. 

Learning about the "sanctity of marriage"!and how it is a special "covenant" that no one must break, not even parents,  (even in the face of Honor your mother & father) brought such clarity and strength to our union.

All of the Christian marital materials I have read stress the importance of leave and cleave and boundaries and recommend No Contact if parents/grandparents intrude on the marriage.

I have found that Christian marital resources give the utmost importance that the person must be primarily loyal to his/her spouse.

I used several of the Judeo-Christian quotes with my in-laws and it helped my foggy dh immensely as well bc it alleviated his guilt, his sense of obligation bc it stems from the Bible! 

StayWithMe

I'm convinced that a lot of people get off on being passive aggressive.  So anything you say, they will take the opposite position.  therapists are people too and there you have it.

If you can sound out a therapist before engaging them, maybe ask a couple of "what would you advise"type questions and see what they say.