Venting about Social Isolation

Started by BeautifulCrazy, May 09, 2020, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeautifulCrazy

I just want to whine and complain a little about social isolation.
The pandemic has actually had very little impact on my social life. I had abandoned most social efforts anyway. It seems pointless when my h is always there to dominate and take over any relationships so he is the focus of attention, or sabotage them if/ when he is not. He always says that I am "free to befriend anyone I choose" and that he "does not stop me or interfere". On the surface this is true. But as soon as someone new appears in my life, he is right there. In person. And friending on Facebook, and following and commenting on social media, and basically love bombing them while burying me in oblivion. If I say anything, I am crazy, mean or stupid because he is simply being supportive of my friendships, or being supportive of my friends, just like any wonderful husband would. If I back away from any friendship he has taken over, he quickly loses interest in it and drops the person. But not before he sabotages me by "joking" with the person about me. He will say things like, "I guess she didn't like you very much! I don't know why, since you're so accomplished/ beautiful/ warm hearted/ genuine etc."
It seems he is always the good guy or "that poor man", while I am usually a villain to some degree. My reputation after 4 years in our rural community is of being hot and cold with relationships, snobbish, standoffish and a jealous and controlling wife.
My social life isn't a total wasteland though... I do have a few close friends from before I moved with him. But those relationships have to be hoarded and guarded and kept very hidden and confined to text and e-mail and the rare phone conversation while he is out somewhere.
So other than the kids I am not getting much interaction.  I'm medium chill around my h so grownup conversation is super minimal and I'm really feeling it!
Thanks for the vent!!

~BC

Andeza

I'm sorry that this increase in stress has been piled onto an already full plate. I do hope things improve for you! I hope you are able to maintain your friendships despite this isolation stuff.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.