She is obsessed with me

Started by RiverPurl, February 03, 2024, 10:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverPurl

There's a new round of emails/harassment starting from my estranged sibling.  It's all much and the same as before - circling the old arguements, throwing blame my way, over exaggerating and twisting events and incidents, demands to acknowledge her and give her apologies, insults, unwritten threats through her tone and making points that had nothing to do with our estrangements. 

Ad nauseum.

I've been here before, many times. I don't respond to her. 

This is gut wrenching.

She is obsessed with me. The hate from her words shines through while she expects me to fix her feelings.

Srcyu

Hello,
I'm sorry she's started up again with her direct barbs.
You do well not to respond. There is another step, whereby you delete the email as soon as you see who it's from. This involves holding your hand over her words while t'other hand deletes the thing.
Some of it will inevitably reach your eyes, but not very much. Far better to get rid of it mostly unread.

SeaBreeze

I personally know digital harassment is real, but we have a little more control over it than in-person harassment. Can you create a filter or special folder to either a. Direct her emails to the special folder to read at a later time when you're up to it or b. have her messages automatically flagged as Spam or Trash or c. Outright blocked/banned completely so you never received them in the first place? Maybe gradually work through each option til your comfortable ignoring them?

RiverPurl

Quote from: Srcyu on February 03, 2024, 11:15:37 AMHello,
I'm sorry she's started up again with her direct barbs.
You do well not to respond. There is another step, whereby you delete the email as soon as you see who it's from. This involves holding your hand over her words while t'other hand deletes the thing.
Some of it will inevitably reach your eyes, but not very much. Far better to get rid of it mostly unread.

I won't be able to delete them now at this stage.  I am holding out hope that I will be able to get some help legally to stop this harassment.  Deleteing them is on the answer.  The fact that her abusive reaction has been so long and prolonged going on for years shows that she's never going to stop and she will only escalate. So I need to keep them for evidence and proof.

RiverPurl

Quote from: SeaBreeze on February 03, 2024, 07:56:24 PMI personally know digital harassment is real, but we have a little more control over it than in-person harassment. Can you create a filter or special folder to either a. Direct her emails to the special folder to read at a later time when you're up to it or b. have her messages automatically flagged as Spam or Trash or c. Outright blocked/banned completely so you never received them in the first place? Maybe gradually work through each option til your comfortable ignoring them?

I am not able to block her with my email. 

I could direct it to spam but at this stage I can't afford these to be deleted because I am holding out hope that I will be able to stop her legally. I currently have her email directed into its own folder so I don't need to read them thank goodness.  However I am able to see the number in the folder climb up and up and up indicating she's sending emails. I don't need to read them and I don't for the most part.  However when I do click into the folder I can see the first few words of her mail. 

The tone is not nice.  It's much and the same as what she's sent before.  But it's scary too because she is obsessed with me. I also know ignoring this is not the answer any more because when she's in this mood she never just leaves it to her filthy dirty talk into my email, she always targets others to shame me and humiliate me and punish me and probably trying to control me eg obey me now or else.  For years when I was getting her messages and emails her words and tone it always had an unwritten 'or else'.  It was always there.

She's still not bored with me.

Srcyu

If for whatever reason, the legal route doesn't work, there is still something else that you can do concerning your email address.
I wish you luck.

JenniferSmith

I'm sorry you are going through this, and from my own experience with receiving unwanted emails, I know it can be very stressful even though its "just" digital. It sounds like you are handling it as best as anyone could. 

In terms of technical ideas - some email providers allow you to create rules for a folder so that it is always hidden (unless you click a button to view the hidden folders).   Another idea would be to start a new phase of your life with a new email entirely and then just keep that one for hers to go to once you've directed everyone else to the new one. You could periodically log into the old one just to keep the account active.  That might help create a sense of a psychological boundary for you.  But I realize none of this addresses the root issue- that your sister won't leave you alone and stop spewing hateful words at you.