Please send me strength

Started by Poison Ivy, June 09, 2021, 11:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Associate of Daniel

Hi, Poison Ivy.

We've just had a massive wind storm in my area.  Absolutely terrifying. 2 to 3 storey gum trees now littering the area.  So much destruction.

I was without power, internet, phone and hot water for nearly 2 days.   Had to drive 2 suburbs away for any phone reception and could only charge my phones in the car.

My back shed is destroyed, side fence needs repair, driveway is in pieces due to a gum starting to uproot itself.  It's leaning towards the road and will take power lines with it as it falls onto the opposite neighbour's fence and possibly house.

The rose arbor came down, bringing the gate frame with it.  2 trees have fallen on seperate fences.

My grocery delivery was cancelled.  No shops were open.  I spent a day eating only bikkies and cheese and Nutrigrain. (Got down to my latest weight loss goal overnight though!)

It's winter.  No higher than 13°C during the day. 4°C or below at night.

I'm dealing with insurance company, council and power company to try to sort out the mess.

I lost 2 days of work.

All this on top of our 4th Covid lockdown and a public holiday weekend.

Thankfully my house and car were ok.

Your house sounds a bit like mine.  It's in desperate need of many $1000s work.  Now even more so.

And I'm alone.

All this to say,  you can do it.  It's overwhelming.  It's expensive.  But one step at a time, and reaching out to friends and family (if not pd) will get you there.

And I can't help thinking that if my uNPD exH was still with men he'd be hardly any help.

Much easier being alone than with a pd or upd partner.

I can see so many miracles in what I've just been through.  God has really looked after me.

You'll get there.

AOD

blacksheep7

ASD,

Wow, sorry to hear  that!    Must have been terrifying, I can't imagine.  Nice to know that you are fine.

Somehow  when sh*t hits the fan, it does a good job.

I wish you strength.

Poison Ivy,

I've been into renovations also since last summer because of Covid giving  us the opportunity to do so as we stayed at home.  This year we decided to continue but had trouble finding the experts in doing so........they are mostly all booked already and the prices have been sky high so we were left with very little options.

Strength to you too.
I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

"When people show you who they are, believe them."
Maya Angelou

square

I'm not an insurance expert but sometimes it DOES cost to inquire. Some companies raise premiums when a customer demonstrates an interest in filing a claim, by calling and asking. It happened to us once and we had to fight it.

Looking on the Internet is free, though. But they won't cover maintenance costs, or even damage caused by neglect of maintenance.

Poison Ivy

Thanks again for all the responses. It really helps to know that people understand.

Today, I was visiting my mom and sister, and I wore their ears off by talking about the window and door replacement drama, particularly the second salesperson. I didn't like the price quotation from the first salesperson but at least I liked her as a person and felt as though she was being open and respectful with me. The second person was very high pressure, and I have a strong suspicion he based his prices (most of which he refused to give me a copy of) on the alleged value of the house. It was very uncomfortable.

Andeza

Anybody that refuses to give you a price breakdown is somebody you have complete permission to not do business with at all. Transparency on the estimate, or else my checkbook stays closed! :bigwink:

AOD, that sounds absolutely horrible. I hope everything gets sorted out, and fast.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Poison Ivy

AOD, I'm sorry about your situation. It sounds horrible. I am very fortunate that most of the things in my house are still functional (second bathroom, I'm thinking about you!) and nothing is time sensitive.

SonofThunder

Quote from: square on June 12, 2021, 08:40:37 AM
I'm not an insurance expert but sometimes it DOES cost to inquire. Some companies raise premiums when a customer demonstrates an interest in filing a claim, by calling and asking. It happened to us once and we had to fight it.

Looking on the Internet is free, though. But they won't cover maintenance costs, or even damage caused by neglect of maintenance.

Thank you for sharing that information and educating me.  I was not aware that was a potential with a homeowners policy compared to an auto policy.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Oscen

I agree that resentment is not good, but I don't think it helps to think of yourself as not good for feeling it.

There are all sorts of natural reasons why people might feel any emotion. You'll work through it and you're definitely not bad for feeling an emotion.