Anxiety- what works for you?

Started by Free2Bme, July 05, 2021, 03:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free2Bme

Hello all ~
I hope it is ok to ask this question here.

I am dealing with some anxiety over life stuff, ie. job, finances, kids, aging parent, house repairs, divorce fallout, etc.  It is unrealistic to think it is going away until some of these circumstances change. 

I need to find ways to reduce anxiety and have considered trying something 'natural' to promote calmness, such as GABA , tryptophan, or 5-HTP.  I have never used anything for depression or anxiety, only melatonin and valerian root for sleep.  I am hesitant to try prescription meds. 

Would anyone be willing to share what works for them either natural or synthetic? Or anything else that helps?

~TIA

Poison Ivy

Exercise (walking) seems to help me. I've tried prescription medications and had some side effects that, although not extremely serious, were bothersome enough to persuade me to stop taking the meds.

Boat Babe

Meds can be great and have saved lives and allowed many people to live full lives. However, if you can avoid taking them, I recommend it. I went on them twenty years ago and I'm terrified to come off them.

I suggest you commit to your next stage of healing, by finding some modalities (yoga, prayer, mountain climbing, salsa dancing, creative ventures, swimming, a therapy that speaks to you etc etc) that show promise for the person you are right now.

Personally, I swim, walk the dog and try to avoid any unnecessary stress (easier said than done). When I practice mindful meditation, I am particularly mentally well. I don't drink much anymore as it makes me depressed.

Good luck and tell us how you're doing 😊
It gets better. It has to.

Andeza

Multistage method. First, a form of exercise that you actually enjoy. Enjoying it is important. I go for walks in the mall because it's roughly a mile, I see other human beings, and air conditioning!

Second, a calming habit. For me that's brewing a cup of tea. For some, it's coffee.

Third, I use certain herbs like lavender, chamomile, rose buds, cinnamon Chai etc as tea. They are known to help balance out stress hormones, but are not for everyone of course.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

1footouttadefog

Hot baths

Eating as well as possible for a few days then really enjoying something rich and tasty.   Having something to anticipate is part of this I think.

Getting as good a quality of sleep as possible, including naps if possible when needed.

Taking vitamin B Complex

Eating Sardines and crackers (fish oil might be the key here for me, not sure)

Taking 20-30 min micro vacations, ie driving for a few miles down a road I have never been in then turning around, taking time to walk through a new store or boutique, or gallery, stopping at a new place and grabbing a snack or beer and pickle chips, or an appetizer or pie slice.

Getting some small chores done, like Making order of some small space in my home, sorting out and handling paperwork or small tasks, making a few phone calls to get business done

Doing small things to improve my environment, like washing and vacuuming my car at a good wash with free vacs.  Changing my bed set and rearranging my room or living room.  Weeding my flower beds.

Taking time to do stretching exercises, I find this relaxes my body and relieves stress.

Watching some funny stuff online.

Getting out in the sun, taking a hike, playing with the dog.